stihl ht75 shaft probs

Charlieh

:bawling: my ht75 end drive shaft appears to have popped itself loose today and i cant get it back in, does anyone have the ipl or workshop manual as a pdf the could email me, or explain the disassembly procedure if there is one, i have a horrible feeling its a sealed unit and may require a new shaft :bawling:

They are a nightmare charlie, inside the outer shaft are splines and the plastic bearing holders go in only one way round and slide down the splines.

I've just had a bearing replaced under warranty on mine, it was replaced six months ago, has done about 4 hours and seized a bearing, not very good for stihl

mine has only done a couple of days light work and i had to fight the shaft of the powerhead as it had rusted in, unfortuntly mine isnt in warrenty, i just cant work out whats stopping the final drive shaft going back into the outer that the saw head mounts on

Charlie, I hae just figured out what it is.

Pull the inner completely out of the outer shaft, you will have seen that there is a long drive shaft with three plastic bearing holders with springs inbetween them

As I mentioned ealier, inside the shaft is two ribs or splines with corresponding grooves in the plastic bearing holders, these bearing holders will go in one way, but you can spin them 180 degrees on the drive shaft and they will go in the same.

If you look on the plastic bearing holders as well as the two small grooves for the splines there is also a cutout on one side. This cutout is because there is a rivet that sticks out on the inside of the outer shaft, you'll see it if you look down the empty tube.

Make sure the groove on the plastic bearing holders is on the same side as the rivet when you put them back in, otherwise the inner shaft will only go so far back in the stop when it hits the rivet.

All three bearing holders have the groove and need to be lined up

had the same prob couple of mnths ago.newbie got the blade pinched and then tried to just pull it out, head of the pruner left in the tree whilst hes holding the shaft in his hand looking puzzled. takes awhile to get it lined up i nearly threw the thing trying to get it right.

Last time I tried to repair one, it all ended up in a carrier bag and being taken to my local dealer!. If your using the hedge trimmer attachment on full extension, be prepared for this again (I did 3 shafts in a year). In the end I only used the chainsaw attachment on the HT75.:thumbdown:

Last time I tried to repair one, it all ended up in a carrier bag and being taken to my local dealer!. If your using the hedge trimmer attachment on full extension, be prepared for this again (I did 3 shafts in a year). In the end I only used the chainsaw attachment on the HT75.:thumbdown:

i used to do the same thing, but all i did was wreck my pole saw and do big hedges too cheap. oh and my lower back didnt really like it much either:sad: