costings for timber haulage

CP WOODFUELS

We pay our local guy with an artic £60 an hr for hauling our wood in!

I´m amazed!!!

Here in Catalonia, Spain the pricing of everything to do with wood --- cutting, moving to roadside, processing, loading, transporting, etc is "outlined" in an annual paper by the Dept. of Forestry.

Whilst these "outlines" are technically a suggestion, most operators use them to reinforce their prices.

When it comes to haulage ... here is what Spain "suggests"....10euro per tonne for the first 25kms --- then 15euro per tonne (27T container) after that.

There are allowances for shorter runs with smaller trailers but I´d need to put my hands on the paperwork.

No one here gets paid by the hour!

I´m interested to see what you pay in the UK.

Stephen

• 2 weeks later...
Stobarts on long runs about £2 a mile we buy from London deliverd to hull £525 + vat

£2 a mile is sort of rock bottom for a Tractor unit and trailer. Stobarts and the like can do this because because they will always have access to a return load to make up the money. £1 a mile is just about fuel money, most of the smaller transport guys need to see between £550 - £750 a day depending on what they are doing.

Bob

£525 equates to around £20/ tonne.

General haulage will always work out cheaper on distance , as has already been said backioading always makes things cheaper , also no crane to buy and run, heavier payload.

As Johnny said £6.50 upwards, travel to site always has to be considered along with presentation of timber .

I sent up a few loads of soft wood to Grantham last year and that worked out £450 a load for 150 miles which was the best I could get and not worth the ag of running my own wagon for. The difference is the guys that did the job slept over and their boss found another job for them, if I did the job I would be coming back empty and @ £15 a ton probably out of pocket.

Bob