The Mower Bench

GardenKit

Yep, sure did, but thats not all.

When I checked out the leak I had not considered the 2mm hole, as I obviously was under the impression that it was the new seal. As oil was dripping from the seal I did not see the hole, i just though that somehow I had seriously damaged the lip on installation. Could not really understand how, so no alternative but to remove the seal for inspection. Of course, by now I am expert at this, so I drill a 2mm hole, insert a self tapper and pull. Out pops the seal, nice and straight (in a round sort of way).

Wipe it off and hold it under the bench light to inspect the lip and saw two 2mm holes. It took a while but it slowly dawned on me that I need to inspect he contents of my bin, where, as if by magic I found a brand new seal.:001_huh:

Carb diaphram in a 024 was my refit of a old part !! funny how it ran just as bad after the new kit was installed :big grin:

Hope the eye is ok? .May be giving you a bell for some parts for your favourite Kaaz Honda in a day or 2 if thats ok. Pos belt ..not sure yet as came in today and only gave it a spin round to get a idea of how sick it is...no service in ..Oooou 6yrs !!:001_rolleyes:

Carb diaphram in a 024 was my refit of a old part !! funny how it ran just as bad after the new kit was installed :big grin:

Hope the eye is ok? .May be giving you a bell for some parts for your favourite Kaaz Honda in a day or 2 if thats ok. Pos belt ..not sure yet as came in today and only gave it a spin round to get a idea of how sick it is...no service in ..Oooou 6yrs !!:001_rolleyes:

To be honest I have done that with diaphragms too, not often though, and mistakes seldom leave the workshop.

I clean the workbench, and put all tools back in their correct place between every job, as well as sweeping the floor under the bench. That way I start every job on a clean bench, and find any left over bits, or unused parts before I start the next job, so i can be sure where they are missing from.

I doubt if its the belt on your Kaaz as they don't have one:big grin: Shaft drive.

To be honest I have done that with diaphragms too, not often though, and mistakes seldom leave the workshop.

I clean the workbench, and put all tools back in their correct place between every job, as well as sweeping the floor under the bench. That way I start every job on a clean bench, and find any left over bits, or unused parts before I start the next job, so i can be sure where they are missing from.

I doubt if its the belt on your Kaaz as they don't have one:big grin: Shaft drive.

I learnt to put things in trays very fast after that little mistake.

Shaft all the way to the gearbox on the 4 wheeled Kaaz then...my mistake , never had one in before. Possibly gearbox issue then as it takes up drive firmly and shortly after it lessens off and then has none. Clutch in G box is my thought if there is no belt to slip.

I learnt to put things in trays very fast after that little mistake.

Shaft all the way to the gearbox on the 4 wheeled Kaaz then...my mistake , never had one in before. Possibly gearbox issue then as it takes up drive firmly and shortly after it lessens off and then has none. Clutch in G box is my thought if there is no belt to slip.

Watching your mower and waiting ive got the sarp model in with lost drive so hopefully you will sort it before I try :thumbup::thumbup:

Watching your mower and waiting ive got the sarp model in with lost drive so hopefully you will sort it before I try :thumbup::thumbup:

Another one of those " Oh it works ok ...just needs a service " Jobs !!

Will Clean the thing off tomorrow so i can "actually" see the shaft drive and the top of the deck ! :001_rolleyes:

'morning guys, yawn.

Kaaz drive problems? luckily the transmissions are really tough and long lasting, but if they do fail then they can cost big.

The transmissions on 4 wheelers seldom fail as they are on the axle and clear of the mud and wet, but roller gearboxes are in the centre of the roller and exposed to all the crap which penetrates the seals when used in poor conditions.

The engagement of both is by a steel 'dog clutch'. The edges of the dogs can sometimes wear, which results in slow engagement as they 'throw out' until they have managed to fully engage. Slightly pushing the mower forward as the clutch is engaged allows the dogs to slot in, and once engaged they stay engaged until released.

The problem Sawchip has is one that makes no logical sense to me, so I am keen to hear the outcome.

UNLESS, its a later model which has a torque limiter in the drive shaft. I have had no issues with these myself, but I guess it could be slipping under load, worth checking.

Total loss of drive?

Worn, broken or missing pins holding either end of drive shaft, quite common

Totally failed torque limiter? I guess this is possible.

Broken gearbox support bracket, allowing gearbox to rotate back and drive shaft to separate, see this quite often.

Broken engagement cable

Broken or slipping actuator arm, the bit that attaches the cable to the dog clutch

All assuming that the overrun clutches in the wheels are OK.

Good luck both of you, keep us posted.

Well boys we have a runner.

This mower is a perfect example of neglect /no servicing and poor storage also in a strange way a testament to Kazz as a maker that it saveable as a usable machine.

The amount of rust on the rear wheel hight adjusters has caused seizure and took some freeing up. In fact the rust is awful at the back !!This leads me into the drive loss after engagement issue.

This is my best guess at what was going on.

Both the 2 speed actuator and the drive actuator, inc the plunger that is pushed to move the dog clutch inside the gearbox , were near immovable !

What appeared to be happening was a "sort of" engagement of drive and then me trying the 1st to 2nd moment caused the mechanism to find a "no mans land " in-between gears due to the mechanism not moving through its full range. Both the cables have a spring involved and therefore isn't a direct hard pull on the gearbox linkages so by Freeing off...cleaning and lubricating all works a treat.

Have finished a full covers off service /sharpen /blade clutch check and a oil change we have a result. The oil was like treacle !! :001_rolleyes: