The Mower Bench

GardenKit

[ATTACH]149154[/ATTACH]

This is the Aspera/Tecumseh recoil from a rotovator. I unseized it with wd40 and lots of pulling in and out and blowing the dirt out.ideally i would have liked to remove the pulley (felt like plastic) and thoroughly clean the spring and housing but couldnt figure out how to open it up further.There was no access from outside-metal over the centre.Any ideas?

If the pulley is turning freely then it should slide off .If it doesn't then look on the top of the housing, turn the pulley and note if the pivot shaft its self is spinning where its riveted over. If it does turn then the shaft is seized in the pulley which can be cured with a few spots of weld where its peened over

slim

Edited by slim reaper

If the pulley is turning freely then it should slide off .If it doesn't then look on the top of the housing, turn the pulley and note if the pivot shaft its self is spinning where its riveted over. If it does turn then the shaft is seized in the pulley which can be cured with a few spots of weld where its peened over

slim

If you mean access from this side slim there doesnt appear to be any?1392715873662.jpg.dabd242fe370ac87e0aaeee27e25554c.jpg

I had my 7yr old grandson at work with me and he soon got bored, so I gave hin a perfectly good Honda GCV135 engine to tinker with. He wanted to see inside, so he took it apart (with a little help, but not much)

Thought I would post some pics for those of you who have not seen inside one of these OHC engines.

The OHC is driven by a timing belt as can be seen. There is no cylinder head on these mowers, so no gasket to blow, and the plastic cam sits on top driving the valves via followers.

The centrifugal governor sits in the bottom of the sump.

If you ever need parts for any engine you need the engine type and serial numbers and the photo shows where to find them on one of these engines.

P1000897.jpg.672a85d6a0340d63c6acae7de9a4f558.jpg

P1000899.jpg.bf1427f47bd456fa0151abef099b3433.jpg

P1000898.jpg.77dae8eb510fd736e31e7ac33627c18c.jpg

P1000901.jpg.e44814ed89350dc97e53c07206a2807f.jpg

This gearbox from a John Deere R54RKB (54cm roller mower) has failed.

The nylon gearwheel has lost its teeth. I have sold many hundred JD mowers and have never seen this problem, but at least there was an obvious cause of this failure.

The rear roller had picked up so much mud and compacted it between the roller and the mower body that it was acting as a brake on the roller.

The gearbox had worked against this load until the teeth stripped. It is testament to the strength of the clutch and the grip of the belt that this could happen. Many other mowers would have slipped the clutch so easily that this could not happen.

It was a bit fiddly fitting the new box though, not the easiest to access.

P1000906.jpg.6c3b7cce810885aeb29bb16bc59d63cd.jpg

P1000904.jpg.aa699b6f4d9fceb24e968ceb1cc477cc.jpg

I have seen that before.

Finally got one up on you Barrie..... Lol.

Another annoying part of people not cleaning out there mowers after they have used them....

I agree Rich.

With the last two wet autumns I have seen an increasing amount of transmission problems with Roller mowers, especially those with split rollers.

Hayters get the water and mud in the freewheels between the two roller halves and they rust up and fall apart.

Honda's get water in the end bearings and they seize up, then the roller shaft wears away.

They also get moisture in the gearbox seals which then fail and the gearbox eventually falls apart.

John Deere gets moisture in the roller bearings and 'sprags' which then rust and fail.

And they all get clagged with mud.

If I was grass cutting for a living I would put the roller mower to one side in wet and muddy times and use a more forgiving 4 wheeler.

I had several more mowers brought in for service today.

The common chat from customers was "sorry I did not bring it in sooner, but it has been so wet I could not do the last cut of the year until Sunday"

Hmmm .... Last cut of the year last week. First cut of the year next week?