The Mower Bench

GardenKit

The pull cord had broken, and on these things the assembly is pop riveted onto the engine..

A lot of people make the mistake of drilling the rivets to remove the starter, but in fact that is not the right way to do it.

Far simpler just to take the tank off and then remove the fan housing. It only takes a couple of minutes, much better than messing with drills and rivets.

Yup. But to find out what was going on I did drill the rivets. Wanted to find out why the pull cord broke, plus why the engine wasn't turning over. Had the drill out anyway, so just drilled it off so I could get a socket on the flywheel easily and turn the engine. Just meant less time in stripping the mower thus a cheaper way to see.

Customers are a bit scarce today for some reason, so I have been able to push on with some work.

Another JD CR125 serviced, and with new blade and both drive belts renewed.

An MTD Lawnflite 604 fully serviced.

The belts arrived for the MTD Pinto so they are fitted and set up.

Now part way through another JD X165, should be finished soon.

Ok finally had time to get back on to the HRB425c OXE

ive got the gearbox out have opened gearbox :biggrin:

which washer do you replace? :confused1:

any help would be great :001_smile:

The way I've done it in the past is to remove the plastic spacer on the left in your first picture and replaced it with a metal one which is just slightly longer. This takes up the wear and allows the lever to put pressure on the clutch assy again. The reason I did it that way is because the first one I took apart the plastic spacer had melted!

:thumbup1:

The way I've done it in the past is to remove the plastic spacer on the left in your first picture and replaced it with a metal one which is just slightly longer. This takes up the wear and allows the lever to put pressure on the clutch assy again. The reason I did it that way is because the first one I took apart the plastic spacer had melted!

:thumbup1:

Thanks Ady :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

hoping to put it all back together tomorrow:thumbup::thumbup:

Our countax c600h is well past it's best but I'm starting to strip it down hopefully to fix it's lack of power. I reckon it's the hydrostatic drive. I'm going to try and change oil and if that doesn't do it I'll ponder the replacement 400 quid part very carefully.

Dave

Our countax c600h is well past it's best but I'm starting to strip it down hopefully to fix it's lack of power. I reckon it's the hydrostatic drive. I'm going to try and change oil and if that doesn't do it I'll ponder the replacement 400 quid part very carefully.

Dave

You may well be right about the box. Countax do seem to suffer from hydro failure rather more than other makes for some reason. i think they under spec the transmissions.

In my experience changing the oil may restore some drive, but not for long.

I am sure you will have already checked the belt. They can look in good order but be worn in profile which effectively slackens them, causing slip.

Also check the gearbox mounting brackets, if one is cracked the gearbox can move forward a little, again slackening the belt.

Another thing worth checking are the top pulley splines. These wear to the point of slipping for a short while before total loss of drive.

Another Sunday shift, but for the first time this year the workshop doors are open and glorious sunshine pouring in. Its so nice to have a south facing workshop.

It made me feel better about servicing another Countax, this time its a 10yr old K1850 that I do every year.

I made a little mistake on this one this year. The bearings on the blade shafts felt fine when I gave them a wiggle so I put the covers back on and put the deck back on the machine.

But when I started it and engaged the blades, the deck made a noise like 747 taking off!

So the deck is coming off again for a complete set of bearings.

That might teach me to run the machines up before service. I keep meaning to, but often forget.

P1000892.jpg.f48b39de8da62ce7f36d4000cabaa2bc.jpg

Big Big Thank you to 2stroke-ady and barrie

for you help with my honda mower

i split gear box down and put a larger washer in ,

put it all back together this afternoon and guess what:confused1:

Its Back driving the roller again:biggrin: i am over the moon thank you again

i really enjoyed this fix (it took me awhile but i got there):biggrin:

018.jpg.aae4fe991338c0ff4aa51ca407fceacd.jpg

Edited by D A Tree Surgeons