Aquired Stihl 056 and Husqvarna 242 Chainsaw

Chilledbud

Hi guys. Thanks for all the replies, I knew I was onto something special when I looked at these saws on the internet.

Picked them all up this morning, from what can only be described as a bit of a chainsaw enthusiast.

He was getting rid of some of the older models as he showed me his brand new STIHL MS880 which was rather nice!

He was also really concerned about selling these three to myself a newbie to chainsaws. Luckily his mind was put at rest when I told him I was soon to be on a course, and they wouldn't be used until I'd had time with a pro, and was happy to handle and run them. He started them all up for me, and showed me them in action, so all good and well.

I'm instantly taken to the 242, as most of the work it will do will be chopping a few trees down in the Mrs work's forest and turning them into firewood, so I have a feeling the two 056's will be wasted on me, so selling them to fund the course and maybe a newer saw in the years to come is the best plan, and good for keeping them in some loving hands.

The one 056 has a broken chain cover, but easily swapped with a new one from the States, he also thinks the bar it has with it isn't the right spec, I've not a clue regarding that.

The second 056 was his little pet, so is in pretty good nick for something he classed as needing a service, comes with a 20" oregon bar with oregon chain with 25 on it?!?

It also turned out both are the electronic quickstop version of the 056.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crikey you guys comments are making me feel like all of these are going to be totally wasted on me, it would kill me as a car enthusiast to think of someone with a classic of a car only using it to drive to work and back :)

In all honesty I'm now thinking even the 242 is going to be wasted on my using it? Would I be better off selling to a pro who can show it some love, and getting a generic souless new Stihl/Huskie with the money I make?

The 242 is a blitz saw, it isn't good for ringing up tbh, it was designed for one purpose, removing branches VERY fast, and was/is the highest stock revving chainsaw, on the other hand, the 056 is a big German muscle saw, it was created as a replacement for the 051 and precedes the 066/660 that many love today, it's a bit of a compromise between the torque and power of each saw, meaning it has tons of both! It takes the 3001/3002 mount of the big saws, so 17" is generally as small as it goes. Effectively you have a race car and a tank if tuned correctly. The 242 equates to the 024 or 020 size wise and is best suited on small bars, whilst the 056 is for pulling through what ever you throw at it, with either 3/8 or .404 chain, using it for a few hours will definitely burn a few calories!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

The 242 is a blitz saw, it isn't good for ringing up tbh, it was designed for one purpose, removing branches VERY fast, and was/is the highest stock revving chainsaw, on the other hand, the 056 is a big German muscle saw, it was created as a replacement for the 051 and precedes the 066/660 that many love today, it's a bit of a compromise between the torque and power of each saw, meaning it has tons of both! It takes the 3001/3002 mount of the big saws, so 17" is generally as small as it goes. Effectively you have a race car and a tank if tuned correctly. The 242 equates to the 024 or 020 size wise and is best suited on small bars, whilst the 056 is for pulling through what ever you throw at it, with either 3/8 or .404 chain, using it for a few hours will definitely burn a few calories!

Mmmm..., Eddy was falling over his words on this; basically you have a small 'let me at it, I'll eat it till is dies' saw (like the scrappy doo of saws) and two 'Let me at it, I'll eat it forever' (like the Rocky of saws) saws.

Yes, you made a great deal and could probably make your money five times over if these saws are A1 running, but you could also learn on two great saws of their times and then sell them without any depreciation later.

Just sayin:001_smile:

I don't fall over my words, I just don't get my thoughts in sequential order, I tend to go back and forth between a few ideas, you should try an actual conversation, I confuse even myself :lol:

All in all, you have two saws that are at the opposite ends of the scale, the 242 was designed solely for thinning, snedding and limbing in the 80's and 90's forestry (before heavy plant became the norm), whilst the 056 was designed for pulling big bars through big trees, it doesn't have the speed of smaller or more modern saws, but it didn't need to, you push it hard until you lift yourself up so it does all the work, the big old torque saws work best that way

Well it looks like the one 056 has now found new home. Still undecided, should I keep the 056 and the 242 and get them both serviced and refurbished if and where required, or sell them on to someone who can fully appriciate them?

If there anything in the £300-400 mark that's well worth buying new to ease the loss, or will the two of these be a better long term idea.

If I do keep them, is there anywhere worth sending them by courier in the UK over the next person/dealer?

If I do decide to sell, any idea what to ask for the 242? I know it's based a lot on condition, but being a noobie that would leave a lot to be desired in me giving it a once over!

Well it looks like the one 056 has now found new home. Still undecided, should I keep the 056 and the 242 and get them both serviced and refurbished if and where required, or sell them on to someone who can fully appriciate them?

If there anything in the £300-400 mark that's well worth buying new to ease the loss, or will the two of these be a better long term idea.

If I do keep them, is there anywhere worth sending them by courier in the UK over the next person/dealer?

If I do decide to sell, any idea what to ask for the 242? I know it's based a lot on condition, but being a noobie that would leave a lot to be desired in me giving it a once over!

Are you sure you wouldn't hurt the feelings of the person who sold them to you if they knew you were just flogging them on?

Personally, I think you should keep all of them, not just because of the above, but because they are treasures. Minimum of £1k for the 242 if it runs right. Someone built a "new" one from scratch genuine parts and it went on ebay for over $3000!

Edited by TimberCutterDartmoor

How much would it have cost him to build?!

Whilst saws are hobbys and treasures to some, to others they are tools for the job. I'm somewhere in between. My modern saws are tools. The old school ones still get used for what they were built for, but you just appreciate the simple torquey grunt so much more as you work.

Plus you don't need to plug em into a laptop when they go wrong :sneaky: