kiln dryer

Johny Walker

LogPro assumed an 80% efficiency (as per manufacturer claims at the time) where as we learned the reality with a batch fed boiler is closer to 60%. If you can run a batch fed boiler on waste wood / straw and claim RHI then its is still a wise move so long as you are around to keep loading it.

Oil cost - assuming 3.5 day trying time for a 20ft container ( 16m3 of logs) with 100kwh of heat going in and oil at 20p a litre you would be looking at :-

8,400 kwh / 10kwh per litre is 840 litres so £168. Plus say 5-10% for efficiency loss then circa £180. Oil is at an all time low and I would hate to invest in an oil boiler for a kiln on the assumption that costs would remain at 20p a litre.

To do the same on chip 8,400kwh at 2.2p per kwh = £184

Mmm - Batch boiler 60% efficient, I quite agree - that is realistic given all the variables and 3.5 days with your specific installation is as would be expected - efficient energy conservation etc.

That makes drying the timber without RHI feasible if you avoid batch boilers, would you agree?

As you are of an age that will still be using your boiler after the 20 years expires will you still dry without the tariff ?! Excuse all the endless questions.

Edited by arboriculturist

Those are both options, GF or similar for 38K or a recommended european supplier.

It must be the way I was brought up, as both of those options just don't sit comfortably with me.

Maybe plain stupidity, as many say don't be ridiculus 'take the money and run'!

If it works for you well crack on! Kiln dried will be here to stay if you like it or not. 58 cubic metres booked on for me this week so far, 43 of them kiln dried. I wouldn't survive only selling 15 cube of seasoned a week.

If it works for you well crack on! Kiln dried will be here to stay if you like it or not. 58 cubic metres booked on for me this week so far, 43 of them kiln dried. I wouldn't survive only selling 15 cube of seasoned a week.

It certainly look that way.

Air dried hardwood retails for around 95 and kiln dried 130 around here, are your retail prices similar? Thanks

One of ours is a 40ft container that we have reduced down to 20ft. We put the hardwood that we sell in the fan side of the container and the fuel for the boilers in the door side of the container. We couldn't get the hardwood in a full 40ft container dry enough in a quick enough time. Putting it down to 20ft with an internal door means we have a drying time of 5-6 days.

The other kiln is a drying room that holds 30 cubic metres. It's more square than a container so holds the heat a lot better. We have also put the fans/heat exchangers in the roof pointing down. The main issue we have in the container is the top crates dry and the bottoms don't because the heat just goes up and stays up. Putting the fans in the roof has made a massive difference in the quality of the bottom crates.

One of ours is a 40ft container that we have reduced down to 20ft. We put the hardwood that we sell in the fan side of the container and the fuel for the boilers in the door side of the container. We couldn't get the hardwood in a full 40ft container dry enough in a quick enough time. Putting it down to 20ft with an internal door means we have a drying time of 5-6 days.

The other kiln is a drying room that holds 30 cubic metres. It's more square than a container so holds the heat a lot better. We have also put the fans/heat exchangers in the roof pointing down. The main issue we have in the container is the top crates dry and the bottoms don't because the heat just goes up and stays up. Putting the fans in the roof has made a massive difference in the quality of the bottom crates.

Hi, what fuel do you put in the boilers?

Thanks

Thanks Ash. Yes others I know have similar issues and most just live with it. Swapping cages around mid cycle is murder and therefore a non-starter.

My early container back in the dark ages was heated bottom up 100% - that was a revolution, nevertheless the top layers would be the last to loose MC !

Another design ducted the drying air to multiple points along the container - that was a very effective innovation.

I expect you oven dry representative log samples which is why you quote 5 - 6 days, very realistic as I assume you have approx. 150mm insulation.

Have you thought about using hardwood to dry as it retains temp. much longer ?