Budget saw for logging

dan120d

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everyone. I'm getting my head around spending a bit more on a Stihl or husqvarna. Options are Stihl 171 14" or Husq 135 14". Both about £190 and both 14". Husq seems to have bigger engine. What would you choose?

Haven't used the Stihl but I have used the Husqvarna and it is a very capable little saw for what you want to do. :001_smile:

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks everyone. I'm getting my head around spending a bit more on a Stihl or husqvarna. Options are Stihl 171 14" or Husq 135 14". Both about £190 and both 14". Husq seems to have bigger engine. What would you choose?

Hi,

I would go to a 181 Ive heard its worth spending over a 171, ive read a few posts from users who rate it so long as you dont ask too much of it.But dont bother with the CBE version just get the standard one.

Stihl MS 181 chainsaw (31.8cc) | F R Jones and Son

Husky 135 also good choice AFAIK

Husqvarna 135 chainsaw (40.9cc) | F R Jones and Son

I think Id get the Husky as its 40cc engine & on budget.

One thing Id advise if its not going to get regular use is use of Husqvarna 2T or Aspen. These fuels do not break down & if your saw if left, petrol can break down & if not replaced before running with fresh cause serious engine problems.

Be quick though because Mr Jones et all are increasing prices very soon, oh nooe, please!

N

Hi,

I would go to a 181 Ive heard its worth spending over a 171, ive read a few posts from users who rate it so long as you dont ask too much of it.But dont bother with the CBE version just get the standard one.

Stihl MS 181 chainsaw (31.8cc) | F R Jones and Son

Husky 135 also good choice AFAIK

Husqvarna 135 chainsaw (40.9cc) | F R Jones and Son

I think Id get the Husky as its 40cc engine & on budget.

One thing Id advise if its not going to get regular use is use of Husqvarna 2T or Aspen. These fuels do not break down & if your saw if left, petrol can break down & if not replaced before running with fresh cause serious engine problems.

Be quick though because Mr Jones et all are increasing prices very soon, oh nooe, please!

N

Hi,

I agree when I worked at a Stihl dealers I would always push the MS181 standard.

The price difference between that and the MS171 is so small.

The chain on the 181 has larger teeth and is stronger and I think the same weight.

The chain on the 181 has larger teeth and is stronger and I think the same weight.

Why do you want larger teeth (= larger kerf, more work for the saw) on such a small saw?

I use 181s over 171s as they are that little bit more robust. However, I always buy them with the 1.1mm chain rather than the 1.3.

In a straight test, my 181 vs a mates 181, about the same age, cut twice as quick. Mine- 12" 1.1mm bar. His, 16" 1.3mm bar. Just goes to show the difference a smaller bag (both kerf and length) makes.

The 1.1mm chain is also very quick and easy to sharpen, even in the field. I even get away with being a bit careless when sharpening it to be honest. Don't know why.

If you buy 1.1mm chains, buy Stihl. I had three Oregon ones and they all lost their teeth very quickly. No such issues with the Stihl ones.

Not sure if Stihl do 1.1mm chain with the anti kickback bumper tie links, but I buy Stihl 1.1mm without and it is fast and efficient.

I have a Husqvarna 135 for the small stuff, i used to use a Sthil 181 for the small stuff but i never got away with it, it was always a pain to start brand new aswell, i picked the Husqvarna 135 up for £188 new from some website. But i do have a stihl 250 that i love for the bigger stuff. Husq or stihl cant go wrong.