Fred dibnah

dexta

I knew Fred a bit when I was in Lancashire traction engine club

I was on McClaren at burtonwood rally and scrounged lift back with fred

First stop was nearest pub where we stayed till closing time

His oppo got on trailer and went to sleep under the canvas sheet

I steered and he fired

Next stop was for water where we turned on fire hydrant with stilson, filled up with water then couldn't turn it off properly ( i think hydrant was outside police station)

Steady run cross country , and that engine ran very nicely

I remember him saying ( often ) "iron men tin engines"

He told me footpate was 8" longer than normal so he could sleep on it when Alson kicked him out again

We went under railway bridge in cloud of steam,smoke and full throttle - very memorable

I was under 21 with provisional car licence ( min age drive roller 21)

In Leigh police car pulled us up, fred stood on back wheel and urinated saying "drivers rights"

Policeman politely asked " if he could have a ride!"

I dropped off after few more miles and walked home at 2:30am totally shattered .....and filthy

Before he perfected his " prop chimney up with timber and light fire" , he used to yank prop out with his engine, apparently on one occasion wire rope kept breaking, he spliced it back together till it was shorter than chimney, so when it came out he had to keep going.....

Don't think you'd get away with it now ........

Very memorable evening, but it seems like a dream now..........

Thanks for post

It's 40 years ago, worked it out last night, just seems like a dream now......his roller didn't have a roof then either......

Never driven traction engine with a roof ......

Funny thing is someone sent me a picture last week .... Could have been on same day

Strange coincidence ......

A truly awesome guy!

I missed a talk with him at the local vintage tractor club when I was 20, the old farmer that my boss had a yard at said ' didn't think you'd know who he was ' I was gutted.

Mi watched the ladder video last night, wow what a job! And as for laddering up around a ledge, how he would do that I don't know, I look for a video tonight on that !

Well worth a watch, parts 1,2,3 ladderring a chimney . Don't think the health and safety would be to pleased now days.

HI DEXTA what a man fred was i no some mates that was talking to him at our local pub my mates told same he was on tv A GREAT CHAP HE WAS he new his stuff to :thumbup1:thanks for the PICS DEXTA jon :thumbup:

A truly awesome guy!

I missed a talk with him at the local vintage tractor club when I was 20, the old farmer that my boss had a yard at said ' didn't think you'd know who he was ' I was gutted.

Mi watched the ladder video last night, wow what a job! And as for laddering up around a ledge, how he would do that I don't know, I look for a video tonight on that !

Here you go

Watched lots of his films last night,love them