Here is a couple for Dr david lonsdale.

David oakman

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. They have been kept and worked on and i risk assess them once a year and the hazard trees once a month.

Great shots David. :001_smile:

Does the estate do any exclusion work, for both safety & compaction issues.

Like dead hedging, circumferential posts?

Apart from your own recordings, do you ever get any research being carried out on the Vets?

Mycorrhyzal identification, pheramone trapping etc.....

Great shots David. :001_smile:

Does the estate do any exclusion work, for both safety & compaction issues.

Like dead hedging, circumferential posts?

Apart from your own recordings, do you ever get any research being carried out on the Vets?

Mycorrhyzal identification, pheramone trapping etc.....

No the front park is like a extention of the hall garden so very formal. As i have said before it took me seven years to get no cars parking under veteran oaks.

No no research david but a few top tree people have been allowed to look around them. I can tell you very special things are around these trees.

The sad thing is there was a large gap in history of planting so as the veterans go and i plant every year i still have no future veterans coming up soon, in the seven years i have been here i have lost 27 veteran trees so it is so important to look after them manage them for the pleasure of people for as long as possible but safely. As a rule the trees stand untill the last leaf falls and no branches left.

Now thers a story. I was allways made to fell and clear but i have now talked them into keeping some complete dead and some trunks. One tree i cut off all the boughs as it is in the front park with events and i did cut in a bird box. In the back park all the trees have all the stag head deadwood so the % of deadwood is getting better. This years project is a log pile or two for the great crested newts to live under in the winter.:biggrin:

• 7 months later...