1. 1. Stihl MS290 or Husky 365 special

• ms290
    • 365 special

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

You cannot compare the two really, as pointed out by WYK, but depends what you want the saw for.

The 365 has 65cc in its 'special' version or 70cc latterly & a pro saw, the 290 is pitched more at land owners, with smaller engine of 55cc so bit small for 20" bar - a 16" bar would be better IMO.

I have the later 365xt & its very good running a 20" bar.

365 v 390 would be a fairer comparison both seem good to me but I would pick the 365 - more of a pro saw.

N

Edited by NFG

You would be barking if you purchased the MS290, the 365 is a solid workhorse that will carry on for years, it is a pro saw that will carry a 20" for ringing up all day and the bottom end is used on the 372 so is rock solid.

The MS290 is a smaller version of the MS390 and is predominantly plastic and hard to work on!

Buy the 365

The later xt 365 are all the same. It was only early models where the special was upgraded to side tensioner, walbro carb and adjustable oiling for the bar. All xt model 365's should have it as the change was made around 2003. I'm assuming we are talking main dealer here btw? Cheapest I've seen the xt is about 500. If your looking on the likes of ebay etc step carefully, there are new 365 specials which are new but atleast 2 years old but also the fact there are badged chinese xopys on there being sold as genuine husqvarna...

Edited by wisecobandit

The later xt 365 are all the same. It was only early models where the special was upgraded to side tensioner, walbro carb and adjustable oiling for the bar. All xt model 365's should have it as the change was made around 2003. I'm assuming we are talking main dealer here btw? Cheapest I've seen the xt is about 500. If your looking on the likes of ebay etc step carefully, there are new 365 specials which are new but atleast 2 years old but also the fact there are badged chinese xopys on there being sold as genuine husqvarna...

Xt or xp?

The lass is not quite up to speed.

It is deffo a 365 not the special version.

She says it must be a 2013 as it is new.

I told her it may be old stock and could she check

Hi

I would ask for the serial number, I think the first digits are the year made but Im sure a fair few know how to read the serial no code.

Is it a private sale or dealer? If its private be extra careful, as there are Chinese copies around.

If its an e-bay link post here so it can be checked

N