Tony Banner

We're looking at the Motion J3600 at work to replace our old Samsung Q1 tablets to run Arbortrack

J3600 Tablet PC - The rugged, all-in-one device that is the ideal productivity tool

Not had it in hand yet but one of our departments has, and I'm hoping to get to see it in the field shortly.

• 2 years later...

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Came across this thread while searching 'GPS tree surveying equipment' so I thought I'd bump this rather than starting a new one.

I'm currently using Keysofts Keytree LT, which I like and works well with imported DWG topo's. Tree positions are marked so it's simple to import the tree data (from an excel file) from a tablet I take on site. (an android asus thing with the detachable keyboard - not ruggetized sp?)

Until now this has sufficed. Now I'm looking to accurately locate tree positions with a gps/Gis device and I'm totally lost. I did attend a seminar about this last year but I was more focused on the software and CAD stuff.

I think I can get as far as importing an OS map of a site and then identifying the co-ordinates of a position on it to 'set' the plan - so if I can get the co-ords of the trees it should be plain sailing :biggrin:

I've spent a few hours researching and am now confused about things like firmware, operating systems of different devices and incompatibilities.

I haven't got a huge budget but don't need an all singing all dancing device, just a means of accurately locating the tree location.

Would something like this do or am I completely off track?

Trimble GeoXT 2005 Series with GeoBeacon Receiver | eBay

Which GPS though? I had a garmin years ago for walking and the level of accuracy left a bit to be desired. Saying that I did read last night that Clinton passed a bill around 2000 to take the inbuilt inaccuracies out of the system. Fascinating stuff when you start to learn how it all works.

This has all arisen due to a management survey with a lot of trees in close proximity. I could just tag each tree, but I'd like to try to map them for the future to assist the clients ongoing management policies.

Thanks for the suggestion. I wonder at the accuracy of the gps on my i-phone:confused1:

I'm not sure if this is too rudimental for you but I use a Garmin gps, mark the tree then import the marked trees onto google maps or an OS map.

Not perfect but works and very simple

I too used a simple system, I was required to tag 5000 the trees for a simple triage survey, so I took a photo of the tree and tag with the GPS of the camera on, I also kept a GPX track of my survey which I could distribute my photos along.

One field in an excel record was hyperlinked to the photo.

I too used a simple system, I was required to tag 5000 the trees for a simple triage survey, so I took a photo of the tree and tag with the GPS of the camera on, I also kept a GPX track of my survey which I could distribute my photos along.

That's simple? :biggrin:

I didn't even know that you could show gps co-ordinates on a photo. Is that on a camera or a phone? Technology is a black hole to me, I learn to do what I need but that's about it.:confused1:

It's called gps map 64. Just done a survey of 70 trees in an acre and the result was good.

I'm at a bit of an impassive with this myself as I don't do enough to justify mapping software but do enough and want them to be professional

You can lease Keysofts tree mapping quarterly (PM me if you want the figure) and the results are good - shadows, RPA's, RPA intrusions etc and not too difficult to learn (I have :biggrin:)

That sounds good, but is it transferable to a map ?