Self Protection on Flip Line and Spikes

David Dobedoe

I have recently done the climbing and rescue course so still very new to tree climbing. (I have however done a lot of caving and mountaineering so understand the technologies reasonably well) When climbing with Spikes, as well as using a wire cored flipline we were taught to also use the main climbing rope tied around the tree with a running bowline and then attaching our harness to that with a Prusik Loop with prusik knot for self protection/back up. ( If I remember rightly!)

My question is when climbing with Spikes and flipline. What are the legitimate options for self protection and what do people favour?

Thanks in advance

David

I only began using a wire core flip line again recently, for many years I just used my standard 10-11mm rope lanyard. It's personal preference on that although does give an extra margin of protection.

As my back up similar to what you was taught although I climb with a hitch climber pulley, I just throw my splice round and choke it to the stem with a carabiner, with this method you reduce dramatically the strength of the carabiner, I tend to use Petzl OK which has a round profile so is better in this situation.

What you describe is what I would consider best practice, you will be caught if your spikes slip out or you cut through your wire core lanyard, self rescue on a single line with an un aided knot can be hard though.

This is a photo of me, and probably a good example of what not to do.

my main attachment point is my side strop (not wire core - which in my opinion is fine)

my backup is my main climbing line, which is hanging below my feet - this should be much higher or even better choked off. I would do this by attaching a krab to the spliced eye, make sure you set to load the spine not the gate.

SDC10793.jpg.9ceaeec8ec436a18011f800c6ef7bdcf.jpg

Choked with a running bowline and a soft locked fig.8/single line work positioning device or DdRT with an adjustable cambium saver or ropeguide.. A ridiculously loose rope around your ankles is not going to do much if you cut through your flipline. At least get it up high and under similar tension to the strop. Or as Marc mentioned choke your line and use a hitch. If you need to get down pop a fig of 8 below it....or just be careful and dont cut your line.....

How about using a Ropeguide?.

Because it's not always practical or simple. I am a great believer in trying to be both modern and practical, moving a rope guide down past branch collars and other obstructions particularly is making big cookies is not easy.

If I am snatching then I often set up my rope guide, once the snatch is made I'll move down to next snatch point finding it easier to set up block and tackle and put my gob cut in top roped.

I will also do this with a choked line if the timber is to big for my pulley saver, I will tie a bowline with long tail so I can retrieve it by pulling on the tail.

As mentioned above an adjustable ropeguide or cambium saver is a good option. A decent adjustable cambium saver which can be choked around the stem is the Multisaver by Teufelberger ::Teufelberger:multiSAVER, plus its relatively inexpensive (when compared to a ropeguide). Its also ideal to use with a hitch climber because the small amount of friction on the rings means that your not holding all your weight when your body thrusting/ascending. I swear by mine.