Whats all the fuss about ?

Bundle 2

Apologies if this has been posted already but I figured it was worth a look. At the risk of coming off like a hippee, it serves to illustrate how emotive these things can be.

I for one would like to see that reason is not swept aside amidst HSE concerns or insurers.....

Ancient oak to be felled in Somerset despite local campaign | Arboriculture News | Horticulture Week

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX3dA4IRcBw]YouTube - The campaign to save the Lucombe Oak at Henhayes Crewkerne[/ame]

Old oak still for the chop (From Chard & Ilminster News)

Enjoy!:blink:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suppose it could adequately fenced off and left to its own devices, but in the long term how much does this cost, along with the necessary maintenance? In these ever tightening times, costs have to be considered, along with risk management. These decisions arent taken lightly, and would those same protestors shout so loud if their children were injured by a failing limb? I think not. Fell it........and replace with more planting of nice safe ornamentals:001_rolleyes:

Local opposition is to be expected given the limited amount of information they have probably received from the local authority.

Councillors received advice from a tree surgeon who said the roots had become infected with a fungal disease’.

That in it self sets alarm bells ringing!

The key to cases like this is information. If the public are given the correct info in a format that they understand then I’m sure any reasonably educated native would understand and respect the councils decision.

As said previously, imaging the headlines ‘Tree Kills Family Picnicking Under Oak Tree’. Imagine the uproar – If I was the local authority T/O I know which headline I’d rather read.

I just wish people would accept the fact that trees don’t last forever. The urban landscape is ever-changing and evolving. If the tree is unstable, fell it and plant three replacements for future generations to enjoy.

Don't forget, the media is there for it's own financial gain, not out of some altruistic ideal about getting a fair account from both parties.

One of the most valuable lessons that i was ever taught, is that in LA whatever you decide will always p someone off, so get used to it.

I have, unfortunately, been involved in far too many emotive decisions like the one mentioned. As a TO, it is down to you to make the best decision for the whole community, not just appease a few tree huggers. And any negative publicity is never taken kindly by your lords n' masters - the politicians who are after the said community's vote :mad1:

The decions to fell any tree, especially a highly visual / important / valuable landmark tree is always hard to make and not undertaken without much deliberation. I know of NO TO that would remove a tree just because on the say so of one tree surgeon. A VTA and then some sort of internal examination, trying remedial works or moving the targets will always (i'd like to believe) be considered before the death warrant is signed.

Communication with the public in laymans terms is a great idea, but remember, they are all experts and we are just tree killers in it for the money.

Leave us TO's alone - we loves trees too!!!

Edited by janey

As a TO, it is down to you to make the best decision for the whole community, not just appease a few tree huggers. !

i dislike the way they bring their young children along to chant......theres a handful of adults with probably little else to do, and a bunch of kids who have absolutely no understanding of whats going on and are just having a "fun day out" making a nuisance of themselves.....almost a case of adults exploiting their kids IMO