Any body run/had a merc 811

Dr.Green

Seen a chassis cab 811. Virtually no miles, mint condition 7.5t, anybody ran or run these.

It's an auto but I'm sure it could be changed to manual.

For around an on budget I could build it with hiab and good size chip box. Just a thought as still looking to change vehicles from the transit club.

Seen a chassis cab 811. Virtually no miles, mint condition 7.5t, anybody ran or run these.

It's an auto but I'm sure it could be changed to manual.

For around an on budget I could build it with hiab and good size chip box. Just a thought as still looking to change vehicles from the transit club.

It really depends on what what/why it was spec as a small engined auto. I wouldn't rush into changing the auto box....

If you have the cash to alter it and it bothers you, then look for another suitable truck.

Coming from a truck background, do struggle with issues that others have with auto. From emergency services to utilities and most trucking companies auto's are up to it and beyond.

Sometimes wonder if it because its not 'normal' in some eyes and not really certain how to deal with issues thrown up.

More inclined to see if you could marry the auto box to a larger engine!

Steve

Seconded. Most new trucks are auto now, I would go auto for preference personally.

Wouldn't put a chip box and a hiab on a 7.5 tonner either, unless your talking about something really small it's going to eat up precious payload. No point trading up from a transit and then overloading the new truck.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

I think it was an 811 I used, about m reg, flat fronted. Handled weight well although wallowed around a lot when loaded. Beyond useless offroad (i.e playing fields) seemed front heavy and liked to sink. I believe it's the same engine as in some unimogs. Only towed small chippers and no hills but don't remember it really struggling.

In my opinion and experience, I'd say 11tonner is the lightest for a decent hiab and tipper on one vehicle.

I think the 811s all have bonnets, could have been an 814 or 817.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Hi Peter,

thinking back, the model & engine size ended with a 'D' if it was bonneted ie; 814d been bonneted & 814 been flat (tilt cab)..... The 814d been the biggest, now used for small buses and large vans.

Ether way, tipper body, hiab, or pretty anything will decimate any payload as mentioned earlier.

Steve

Hi Peter,

thinking back, the model & engine size ended with a 'D' if it was bonneted ie; 814d been bonneted & 814 been flat (tilt cab)..... The 814d been the biggest, now used for small buses and large vans.

Ether way, tipper body, hiab, or pretty anything will decimate any payload as mentioned earlier.

Steve

I know before anyone has a fit, you can get 817, 823 etc, but these are not bonneted and if they are then special order.