corkscrew splitter hp & rpm

Boy English

hi all, picked up an old 3 point corkscrew splitter yesterday, I would like to make it into a self powered unit and was wandering how many horses does it really use??

obviously it was designed to run at 540rpm but since Im building it would anyone say abit more would make it nicer / less painfull to operate?

any advise welcome..:001_smile:

hi all, picked up an old 3 point corkscrew splitter yesterday, I would like to make it into a self powered unit and was wandering how many horses does it really use??

obviously it was designed to run at 540rpm but since Im building it would anyone say abit more would make it nicer / less painfull to operate?

any advise welcome..:001_smile:

Loads of threads about this if you do a search but basic its torque you need . Bags of grunt . 30hp minimum I would say . I have one with a single cylinder Honda GX390 which is 13hp I think . its fine on easy splitting stuff like sycamore and it faster than my hydraulic splitter but if you get a bit of gnarly old elm or similar it can stall and you loose all that time cutting it off the cone . A bigger engine producing more torque would sort it . When you use one on a big chunky tractor it does not even blink and just chews through . So don't waste your time and energy unless you have at least 30hp at your disposal . Trust me ! :001_smile:

Loads of threads about this if you do a search but basic its torque you need . Bags of grunt . 30hp minimum I would say . I have one with a single cylinder Honda GX390 which is 13hp I think . its fine on easy splitting stuff like sycamore and it faster than my hydraulic splitter but if you get a bit of gnarly old elm or similar it can stall and you loose all that time cutting it off the cone . A bigger engine producing more torque would sort it . When you use one on a big chunky tractor it does not even blink and just chews through . So don't waste your time and energy unless you have at least 30hp at your disposal . Trust me ! :001_smile:

Just to repeat what Stubby has said. This time of year we're selling two or three Hycracks a week. Lots of people want to run them on compacts and some do but as Stubby has correctly said with anything under 20hp you'll only split small straight grained domestic fire stuff. 20hp upwards will do most of what you want domestically but you'll still struggle or stall the tractor on knotty stuff. 30hp+ will do all you need within reason but I for sure would never run one at 540. 350-450 rpm should be what you should look at depending on wood type and age. There's no need to run it faster.

thanks, I did stumble across a post from yourself explaining your preference to lower rpm, im not sure what breed mine is but its big and heavy, the screws bigger and wider than most i can find on ebay with a really coarse thread and a replaceable tip so its got some quality to it, it came with a pto which has a ratchet clutch incorporated.

after abit of reading ive decided to really go for it, ive got an old Peugeot 1.9td engine and box so i might have a play with that and see how it goes :001_smile: