log splitter project

testcricket01

looking at the video, the pushing plate seems to move around a lot on splitting, it needs to connected to the H beam to keep in place or it will bend the ram when splitting.

yer i did mention in the original post under the link that the video was just a quick test before i drilled and bolted the brackets that hug the RSJ :thumbup1:

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That looks brilliant! I have just bought one very similar design and have been testing it today to run off the digger, I don't know if you noticed the log split with a bang!

Mine also does this and was wondering if it's not too late to ask if an angled wedge would make it slice through the log better?

A lot of factory made splitters present the wedge at an angle to the face of the log, also I am assuming the angle needs to slope towards the rsj? So the log is held in place?

Does this make sense and I hope I'm not too late to ask?

I will start a thread tomorow because I need pics of mine, but want to know before I get the grinder out

Cheers:thumbup:

That looks brilliant! I have just bought one very similar design and have been testing it today to run off the digger, I don't know if you noticed the log split with a bang!

Mine also does this and was wondering if it's not too late to ask if an angled wedge would make it slice through the log better?

A lot of factory made splitters present the wedge at an angle to the face of the log, also I am assuming the angle needs to slope towards the rsj? So the log is held in place?

Does this make sense and I hope I'm not too late to ask?

I will start a thread tomorow because I need pics of mine, but want to know before I get the grinder out

Cheers:thumbup:

mine only makes a bang because i used the old knife off one of my splitters and the 4 way split is a attachment that just slips over the top of the welded knife, so it moves about. when useing the single split knife theres no noise. as for the angle i guess if it was angled towards the log it would help, i havent done this though i just welded it on level does the job.

• 2 weeks later...

got most of it painted up now, got the job done early today so had a little first proper play with it. its only pop its splitting in the video, i was splitting knotty conifer and euc aswell it doesnt struggle, really pleased with how its turned out. just need to make up a removable table on the front to catch the split material to ease the use of it stop it all falling on the floor once split. :thumbup:

got most of it painted up now, got the job done early today so had a little first proper play with it. its only pop its splitting in the video, i was splitting knotty conifer and euc aswell it doesnt struggle, really pleased with how its turned out. just need to make up a removable table on the front to catch the split material to ease the use of it stop it all falling on the floor once split. :thumbup:

Looks good and pretty quick as well :thumbup1:

The leaver on mine sits on top of the ram and acts as a second clamp to hold the ram down and also when the ram returns to fully closed it pushes the leaver into neutral saves braking things

yer i was going to mount it ontop of the ram but desided it was far easier to just mount it off the frame and its in a easy position to work it aswell. mine is a detent valve also same as yours it clicks into neutral at the end of the in and out stroke but i prefer to just stop it as its waste of time going all the way back in for the size of logs we split.