working in NZ advice

Quercus-90

Hi All!

Hope everyone had a great christmas :thumbup:

Been doing ballot of thinking recently about where I'd like my career to take me next, and I've come to the conclusion that whilst I can, I would like to travel and climb abroad to gain a few years experience and become the best arborist I can be.

I've always wanted to go to new Zealand so I thought why not start there!

Just wanted some input from the guys who've done this sort of thing, few questions!

Best month to aim to be there?

How much did you take?

How long is long enough?

What accommodation did you use?

Did you take all your kit on flight or mail it out later??

Did you secure work before leaving if so best route?

What visa did you apply for?

Sorry if this is in the wrong place!

Thanks everyone

Edited by Quercus-90

Best month? What weather do you prefer? It's. Small country but varies from sub alpine to almost tropical..

How much you bring totally depends on how long you want to stay!! Do you rent a full furnished house etc no point bringing everything g you own if it's a 6 month trip.. I arrived with 2 backpacks....

What work do you enjoy?

Personally if arrange a job, fly out with enough gear to work, harness rope toys etc and bag of clothes. If you really like it get more stuff shipped out. The distance from the UK can out a lot of people off, especially partners. You don't really know til you try..

Best month? What weather do you prefer? It's. Small country but varies from sub alpine to almost tropical..

How much you bring totally depends on how long you want to stay!! Do you rent a full furnished house etc no point bringing everything g you own if it's a 6 month trip.. I arrived with 2 backpacks....

What work do you enjoy?

Personally if arrange a job, fly out with enough gear to work, harness rope toys etc and bag of clothes. If you really like it get more stuff shipped out. The distance from the UK can out a lot of people off, especially partners. You don't really know til you try..

Best month as in best chance of there being penty of work about!?

Thinking of 6-12 months, obviously I know the duration of my trip will determine how much to take..... My question was more how long did people go for and his much did they take, was it enough? Could they have survived on less?

Accommodation again my question was an experience related one, when people wentbdid they stay in hostels? Rent a room? Board with someone, rent a cheap flat?

I'm going out looking for a second climber position. I'd hoped I could get away with two large rucksack's.

Thanks for the advice

Personally I would look to secure a job before leaving...iv never been but looked into it and been offered work...the reason I didn't go was I couldn't fund the flight as it was too short notice but what you will find, a company will help you with your visa, help set up a bank account and help find accommodation mate...alternatively you can do what my cousin and her partner did, saved up 5k between them, landed in NZ, brought a car and traveled bouncing from lodge to lodge untill there money ran out lol

Hi Quercus

I traveled out to nz just over a month ago from the UK. I got myself a working holiday visa for 23 months. as I want to travel and work for different companies( e.g travel 2 months work 2-3 months. I sent about 15 emails out to different companies about 1.5 months before flying to companies in auckland and the bay of plenty and got 5 job offers back within a week and another a few weeks later. The E-mail was just a cv and a little letter saying what I planned to do and how much I wanted to see nz.

I left it so I was going to contact the companies when I got to auckland. One of them was offering me a room as well as a job so I took that one. from what I have seen so far you shouldn't have much problems with getting a job and accommodation as new zealanders are the most friendly and welcoming people ever. staying in backpackers is pretty cheap ( 25ish dollars a night) or renting is supposed to be pretty cheap but I haven't looked too much into that yet.

I don't know about best time of year, if I was you Id just get initial contact with a handful of company's you would like to work for and the get yourself out here, its easier getting work when your over here as they know your serious about coming over and working and all that.

Kit wise all have taken is 1 backpack and a day sack with chainsaw boots and trousers, I bought a new lid out here. I also suggest getting transport like a station wagon our a ute (pickup).

please ask if you have anymore questions.

Conall

Best month as in best chance of there being penty of work about!?

Thinking of 6-12 months, obviously I know the duration of my trip will determine how much to take..... My question was more how long did people go for and his much did they take, was it enough? Could they have survived on less?

Accommodation again my question was an experience related one, when people wentbdid they stay in hostels? Rent a room? Board with someone, rent a cheap flat?

I'm going out looking for a second climber position. I'd hoped I could get away with two large rucksack's.

Thanks for the advice

There are a heap of different outfits crying out for climbers at the moment all over the country. Any time of year is good. Check out http://www.seek.co.nz or http://www.trademe.co.nz and look under jobs/arborists.

Look at coming for at least 12 months so you can work and have a bit of time to see the country. Personally, 2 years is a better bet but if you get a year visa and like it you should be able to extend.

With regard to rent; again, check trademe and it should give you an idea of what rentals are costing, on average, in your preferred destination. Auckland ain't cheap so renting a room may be a better option until you find your feet.

Send Max Lawless a pm. He's just got a job in Auckland and should be able to give you a few pointers.

If you want more info just PM me. Or check out the above sites for a start. Personally I always recommend getting in with one of the bigger outfits until you get your bearings and find your feet. It's easier to hit the ground running as they sort most things out for you.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App