mending plastic fuel tank

malc

Any tips on mending a crack of about 1cm on the underside of a ms460. I have tried chemical metal but that just comes off when the fuel comes through. I have thought about trying to solder it just to mend the hole, and then cover it with a plastic patch glued on to give it a bit more strength.

Any other ideas that have worked for anyone else?

It's the plastic section on the bottom of saw, I think I might have dropped it on a stone or something. If I can't fix it, it would be a very expensive repair bill as its the whole handle, air filter and carb section will need to be replaced.

You can melt proper Lego bricks (or ABS plastic) in acetone and paint them into cracks in plastic to repair them. Put the hot air gun or hair dryer in the tank to get rid of any liquid before you start and try opening the crack up a bit so you get a good bond and get to the end of it.

try a car body shop they will have plastic welding equipment just have to find the type of plastic to match with the same type of rod you can buy a fiberfill rod which will work with any plastic which you can melt with a soldering iron it is equivalent to a braze not a fusion weld but has worked well for me in the past repairing mower decks

I've seen we boats with a gash over a foot long and half inch wide repaired with Lego. Needed more than one brick for big repairs. Watch your fingers though, that plastic really sticks to flesh; best to hold brick with pliers while melting, directly onto repair area. You can choose any primary colour you like and some others too.

If you wanted an expensive Lego repair. You could use one of the figures and then be able to say Darth Vader or Harry Potter repaired it.

Although I have just replaced my ms660 tank with a new one as I couldn't get all of the crack without taking it off I got it useable whilst waiting for the new tank to come from china by an attempt at plastic welding

Empty fuel tank and let breath for a couple of hours

Get old spoon from kitchen

Get blowtorch from workshop

Heat spoon handle until bright orange and smooth over crack until it fuses together again

Repeat a couple of times until sealed

Of course you do this at your own risk but it worked for me so the tank only had a small weep left from the very top where I couldn't get the hot spoon into

If you only have the one crack and haven't opened up the seam join then this should fix it fine

Dave

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App