3.5T turntable trailer

Daniël Bos

Hi all, wondering what your thoughts were on a turntable trailer.

I'm thinking of getting one from either the Netherlands or Germany, 6m bed length, 2.4m wide. about 850kg empty.

I move a lot of hedging stakes and binders, bundles up to 18ft long and it would be great to be able to have a stack of stakes and a stack of binders separately on the trailer rather than one on top of the other.

It'll be right handy when moving hay, would take a few bales...:sneaky2:

I also intend to do a bit more building/ timber framing / sawmilling sort of work where I reckon being able to move a 30ft beam could prove quite handy.

It's far nicer to tow as no nose weight, no snaking/wobbles, meaning I could tow it with the car (1600kg tow cap) ocasionally when needed rather than the landy.

I can get a reasonable one for similar money as a 10-15 year old fairly knackered IW 16ft flatbed.

Now I know it's a little trickier to reverse but I've been able to reverse turntables without much problems for the last 25-odd years behind the tractor so that should be ok.

But I don't know of anyone here in the UK that uses one, why not?

I know they're legal as some were made by bateson a while ago.

So why oh why not? what am I missing?:confused1:

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I know it's a little trickier to reverse but I've been able to reverse turntables without much problems for the last 25-odd years behind the tractor so that should be ok.

I always found the best way to reverse a turntable trailer was to watch the relative position of the bed and the turntable. When it moves past centre you correct it.

Thats easy done from a tractor cab but will be a lot trickier from a car.

I also found that turntable trailers like to run in straight lines and tend to shove the back end of light towing vehicles around a bit on bends. They are always better when well greased though.

I personally would want something a bit heavier than a car on the front of one of those.

Yep, just like that.

Though I'm mildly confused they're selling a trailer with a bed lenght of more than 8m as I thought the max allowed was 7m. (not really relevant as the one I was looking at is 6.5, this one:

check the uk regs, we imported a trailer from germany that could not be used in the uk, regs are different in some countries (eu have not standardize yet)

Reversing one of those with a tractor or a car/van are two completely different kettles of fish. I wouldn't consider one personally if you ever need to reverse anywhere - you lose all the steering lock and visibility afforded by a tractor.

front hitch/pin sorts that out

Our straw comes in on a wagon and drag with a turntable trailer, most drivers can reverse them with the lorry.

Not sure that I could.

I can do it with a tractor, one of them ribbed his mate when I reversed his trailer with my tractor. "Would you look at that, he just reversed it closer to that stack than you can do it going forwards" :D