Close shave and thankfull

Lancstree

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

looks nasty,

well my friend (meant to be dive buddy), fell out of the tree the other day(i had the day off), won't let me see him. laying in a bed with a colostomy bag, drugged up on morphine. he'll be ok, no spinal injuries, just smashed his legs up. harness snapped.

almost saw a guy(who's name is guy funnily enough) obliviously cut the back of his legs today (we only wear shorts here), non working chain brake, cuts out if you don't keep the chain spinning. just dangiling this 044 behind him with the blade whizzing round.

don't let accidents be the fault of faulty equipment, thats just stupid and neglegent. a boss won't make you use something faulty if you refuse to use it.

Really sucks about your mate I hope he heals well and quickly.

i was asked to take down a medium sized syc. Was cuttin away quite carefully, no rush. I was anchored on with a main line and supported by a second strop. I was using the 020 left handed with both hands ( i am left handed so i do this occasionally) when at the point of cutting one of my feet slipped. I instinctivley stuck out my right arm to re-gain my balance, the saw kicked and well ouch!!

I removed myself from the tree and was hospital bound asap

I am fortunate enough not to suffer permenant injury although did require an emergecy op to stem arterial bleeding.The photo was taken by an e.r. doc.

hope this is a wake up call for ALL OF US!!!!

PLEASE BE CAREFULL!!

PetesBadlyInjuredArm.jpg.e81e23caf43361c4608dffa6d2ed369e.jpg

well that looks like something out of a b grade horror movie. makes the previous picture look almost nice. i almost did the same thing once, cutting off epicormic, using the old cuts as foot holds as i made my way up. slipped, similiar reaction, but managed to stop the saw a cm before my arm. that was enough to bring me out of the tree.

on that note, and i'm going to rise this issue expecting alot of controversy, i'm a bit of a one armed bandit. and tend to rate support above both hands on the saw(except when there's a high chance of kick back). it's a natural reaction to try and support yourself when you slip. do you reckon this would have happened if you were using one hand?

on that note, and i'm going to rise this issue expecting alot of controversy, i'm a bit of a one armed bandit. and tend to rate support above both hands on the saw(except when there's a high chance of kick back). it's a natural reaction to try and support yourself when you slip. do you reckon this would have happened if you were using one hand?

Would be one option, Others include different work positioning as the rope angles were not great (difficult though as the crown did no lend itself to many options if I remember correctly. Bob might be able to help as he finished the tree), more carefull gaff placement or even better NOT BE SO CASUAL AND COMPLACENT

you can't always get great work positioning. especially on leaning trees etc. or the barks slippy. when you make cuts your body sometimes tilts ever so slightly(at this point your mind has shifted from positioning to cutting, were not women we can't multi task) enough to shift your weight and make you slip. it's bloody hard to concentrate on absolutely everything all the time, you'd never get any work done, you'd be exhausted. you followed all standard procedures, just bad luck. something thats always going to be an uncontrolable variable

don't let accidents be the fault of faulty equipment, thats just stupid and neglegent. a boss won't make you use something faulty if you refuse to use it.

I agree. There are too many of us that put up with sub-standard gear and poorly maintained gear. On reflection I should have refused to use the faulty 020 until it was seen to properly. Being only two weeks into a new job I was keen as mustard so thats why I used it - albeit poor excuse. My attitude has changed somewhat from that now and I'm H+S mad.