Anybody stripped down a Honda 13hp engine?

Shane

My Rayco 13hp stump grinder gave in today.

When I took the inpsection cover off the cylinder head the upper valve spring seat on the inlet valve was only half there and the collet was gone.

The valve was not moving.

I know its worth rebuilding the head with new valves/springs etc but first I need to find the broken bits.

The other half of the valve spring seat was still in the valve gear chamber so no worries but no sign of the collets.

I have removed the engine, drained the oil and even flushed it through with petrol but NOTHING!

On the assumption that it is mechanical suicide to run the machine with unknown bits rattling around inside I'm going to strip the engine while its out and maybe check it all over.

Has anyone on here ever separated the crank case on a vertical-split honda engine? If so are there any knacks when it comes to removing the crankshaft from the end bearings?

Any advice appreciated.

Maybe if anyone has an idea how much the bits will cost:confused1:

For reference its a single cylinder 390cc 2004 vintage, never let me down before!

Cheers

Shane

Can you get a small magnet in the drain hole,might be worth a try before stripping the engine?

Tried that, I've got one those little telescopic jobbies with a stupidly strong magnet on the end but no joy with the fishing technique.

My Rayco 13hp stump grinder gave in today.

When I took the inpsection cover off the cylinder head the upper valve spring seat on the inlet valve was only half there and the collet was gone.

The valve was not moving.

I know its worth rebuilding the head with new valves/springs etc but first I need to find the broken bits.

The other half of the valve spring seat was still in the valve gear chamber so no worries but no sign of the collets.

I have removed the engine, drained the oil and even flushed it through with petrol but NOTHING!

On the assumption that it is mechanical suicide to run the machine with unknown bits rattling around inside I'm going to strip the engine while its out and maybe check it all over.

Has anyone on here ever separated the crank case on a vertical-split honda engine? If so are there any knacks when it comes to removing the crankshaft from the end bearings?

Any advice appreciated.

Maybe if anyone has an idea how much the bits will cost:confused1:

For reference its a single cylinder 390cc 2004 vintage, never let me down before!

Cheers

Shane

ive got a load of bits for them engines gx340 if you need anything let me know

ive got a load of bits for them engines gx340 if you need anything let me know

I might be interested in a full set of valves/springs/collets etc.

Maybe a complete head if it's compatible.

I'll see what the local suppliers can come up with and get in touch.

Thanks for the help.

Now back to the garage to find those bleedin collets:confused1:

i was thinking same thing gx340/390 parts interchange etc i took the advice from a arbtalk member and won a concrete floor saw off ebay for £72 engine is perfect for my log splitter so that may be the way to go and you will be left with loads of spares too good luck anyway by the looks a nice arbtalk guy will help you out with the bits you need i just wished honda had fitted a oil filter to these engines as i,am alway worried about oil condition so always checking mine and changing it when its getting a bit black and petrol,y smelly etc