Web Sites

Andrew Reed

Anyone here built their own web site? Any advise on which application to use. I am having a play with Wordpress.com and have got this far NexElec.co.uk | Electrical Installations and Property Maintenance in a few hours which is not really going in the right direction but it is at least a presence on the web. Another suggestion to me from a customer was Webplus (free).

Also decided to do my own graphics for a leaflet drop. I seemed to get on OK with a app called Scribus, also free.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone here built their own web site? Any advise on which application to use. I am having a play with Wordpress.com and have got this far NexElec.co.uk | Electrical Installations and Property Maintenance in a few hours which is not really going in the right direction but it is at least a presence on the web. Another suggestion to me from a customer was Webplus (free).

Also decided to do my own graphics for a leaflet drop. I seemed to get on OK with a app called Scribus, also free.

Stick with wordpress, I use it for most of my sites and it can really do anything you want it to. I see you are just using the basic theme that came with it. There are literally thousands of themes available for you to look at.

Heres some of my sites using wordpress

Tree Shirtz - Arborist apparel online shop

ArbTrader Arborists Classifieds

Smart Phone Apps for Arborists - Brought to you by Arbtalk

Arborist equipment and machinery reviews

Steve

Thanks for the confidence vote with Wordpress. I'll stick with it and invest more time to find a theme that does what I want. Yes I chose something very simple (probably too simple) because I wanted to get something working quickly and learn. How do you know to trust a theme that I could find out there anywhere on the web? Or is there a safe place to get them?

....and google search friendly. No point in spending lots of time/ money designing a good looking website if nobody can find it.

eg, just tried searching "nex elec" on google and your website isn't showing on the first or second page (but this could be if you haven't submitted your site for search engines to crawl).

Wordpress as said is good and fairly secure regarding being hacked compared to joomla, there is also the yoast seo plugin available for it, I use artisteer to help make my own site templates, but support for it lately has been crap so am looking at template toaster.