bowl turning thread

se7enthdevil

Well the example he shew in his workshop was a bowl blank and it had two layers of paper round what was not going to be the top and bottom of the bowl. You will have to excuse my lack of knowledge but we have only been turning for a couple of months if that. I know the club spends the odd sunday prepping wood, and dipping it in melted wax, but i have not been on one yet to see what they do.

Cool thanks ill give the paint ago as we have loads of old paint pots with little bits in lying around. Then i can put the blanks on the shelf in the garage that the paint is on atm!

So when i come to turn them just put them as normal then the paint will come off? I know this could be a very vaige but how long should i dry them out for?

paint will either peel off in a year or two or turn off.

the rule of thumb is an inch per year but that's usually for lumber. bowl blanks will vary depending on species or when they were cut down as trees usually have more water in them in summer months. for example, i cut some tulipwood in to roughed out bowls in january and they eventually lost 55% of their weigh in moisture where as some beech only lost 25%. i recommend you weigh each blank and put the date on every blank you cut as knowing how much it's lost is a real help to determine how dry it is. you can also record what species loose what percentage and this will give you a reference in the future.

any question feel free to call.

number's on the website

Sorry for taking a time to reply, but had to reboot this computer, then had probs logging in on the site.

I would like a variable speed. The missus would be content in spindle work but i would like to do more bowl work.

Lathes seem to be a minefield