Build it in Great Britain!

TimberCutterDartmoor

Talk about doom and gloom merchants :001_rolleyes:

I'm no "doom and gloom" merchant, but I am frustrated by peoples inability or unwillingness to open their eyes, see what's wrong, and do something about it. Then again, to do that they'd have to take their collective heads out of their collective arses first.

On the manufacturing thing, I have a lot of respect for this guy. Firstly he turned down the all powerful :001_rolleyes: dragons, and now he's spending a lot of money moving production of it to the UK, Devon or Cornwall I think but may be wrong on that. But he's very much the exception sadly.

Oh, and if you think the main motivation behind children in need is anything other than a well funded jolly for a lot of the countrys so-called great and good, then you're well deluded!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...now. But so were Japanese goods when that economy was exploding in the 60s. Now look at the quality. China will go the same way.

Not so sure. The Japanese borrowed from the British and European motorcycle industry and improved upon engineering and reliability. Same with electronics and cars.

...now. But so were Japanese goods when that economy was exploding in the 60s. Now look at the quality. China will go the same way.

People have been saying that for 7 or 8 years now and there's no sign of it. What makes you think the next 7 or 8 years will be any different.

Oh, and I can't agree about the Japanese. If anything they took things up a level when their goods started appearing.

Edited by wrsni

People have been saying that for 7 or 8 years now and there's no sign of it. What makes you think the next 7 or 8 years will be any different.

Major difference between the Chinese and Japs is that the Japanese have a proud history of producing high quality steel goods which filtered down into their automotive industry whereas the Chinese seem content in producing inferior copies.

Major difference between the Chinese and Japs is that the Japanese have a proud history of producing high quality steel goods which filtered down into their automotive industry whereas the Chinese seem content in producing inferior copies.

That's true but the differences go much deeper than that even. Japanese goods were produced by Japanese companies who had so much pride and confidence in their goods that they followed them right through from factory to end user. They put systems in place to provide support, spares parts, etc for whatever they sold and those systems are still in place and working 40 or more years later.

The Chinese companies however care little beyond horsing as much as possible into a forty foot container and getting it onto a boat meaning it's easier to get parts for most 30 year old Japanese bikes than a 30 week old Chinese one. The Chinese manufacturers are quite happy to leave that and even the branding of the product itself to whoever is actually buying the thing off them whereas the Japanese done all of that themselves.

That's been the situation for quite a number of years now and it shows no sign whatsoever of changing.

Edited by wrsni

Oh, and I can't agree about the Japanese. If anything they took things up a level when their goods started appearing.

Not arguing as no-one has a crystal ball. Your last paragraph seems contradictory; with the first line you disagree with me, with the second you agree!

Because we're essentially a nation of greedy money grabbing cheap skates. We want as much as possible for ourselves, yet give as little of it as possible to anyone else.

We want to earn £20 an hour yet want everyone who provides us with a service or product to earn £1 an hour. We want to go out and earn as much as possible for ourselves but expect someone else to look after our increasingly horrendous ill-mannered children for as little as possible.

Shale gas will come as will nuclear power because we won't care about further rape and potential destruction of our environment if it gives us another few quid of disposable income in the week to then blow on crappy imported goods which we don't even need and will tip our balance of trade even further in to the red.

Did Primark suffer the predicted massive consumer back lash once we found out the appalling working conditions, even resulting in huge loss of life, that was behind their cheap clothing? Did they bollocks, they recently posted results showing one of the largest increases in sales of any company in the UK.

We allowed (almost) all our building societies to convert to banks between twenty and thirty years ago by allowing ourselves to be bought out with a few quid of a "share dividend", that's when the first seeds of the financial crisis were really sown.

All this stuff going on and we're not even learning from it. You'd think what's happening at Fukushima would be enough to demonstrate to any sane even vaguely intelligent person that ALL nuclear facilities anywhere in the world need to be shut as soon as possible, but no we're going to build more because we think it'll save us some money!!!!

We all like to pay lip service to caring about our children, and their children, yet our actions demonstrate that we actually don't give a toss!

Some good points here. I was not going to mention this but a local stove shop cancelled their kindling order this week. We used to deliver 20 bags at a time for £2 a bag for the last 3 years. Then when he got low would put a large order into certainly wood. This week I put the price up to £2.50 a bag and he cancelled because certainly wood are 1p a bag cheaper. Now I would imagine they charge carriage. But do certainly wood buy his stoves no. Will we recommend him as a supplier to our customers no. People buy local as long as you can beat the lowest price they can find on the net nation wide, or as you say they want to earn £20 an hour and expect others to earn a £1.

Not so sure. The Japanese borrowed from the British and European motorcycle industry and improved upon engineering and reliability. Same with electronics and cars.

:thumbup1:

Quote from another forum :thumbup:

You will find the forum open and frank so expect some direct opinions to be expressed. Also the forum is independent so do not expect any subversion or heavy handed moderation. You are free to express your views without censure, within the bounds of common decency.

I hope you enjoy the forum and that we can build something significant together.

Thanks for joining!

hooray for free speech!