Shooting Advice

kevinjohnsonmbe

Hi Kev. I think the issue here is one of disrespect more than a safety issue. No.6 shot raining down has very little velocity or weight so the chance of injury will be extremely small (unless you were looking directly up vertically) no more dangerous than hailstones I would think. I would suggest that you have another 'friendly' word with the Shoot Captain and ask him to make best attempts to prevent the shot from falling on your land. Also that he informs you prior to any shooting days so that you can ensure the safety of daughter etc. Inform him that you don't want to get the Police involved at this stage. It just isn't worth falling out with neighbours!! As for the comment 'Backstop, Backstop, Backstop', think other poster may be getting his rifle mixed up with a shotgun!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Kev. I think the issue here is one of disrespect more than a safety issue. No.6 shot raining down has very little velocity or weight so the chance of injury will be extremely small (unless you were looking directly up vertically) no more dangerous than hailstones I would think. I would suggest that you have another 'friendly' word with the Shoot Captain and ask him to make best attempts to prevent the shot from falling on your land. Also that he informs you prior to any shooting days so that you can ensure the safety of daughter etc. Inform him that you don't want to get the Police involved at this stage. It just isn't worth falling out with neighbours!! As for the comment 'Backstop, Backstop, Backstop', think other poster may be getting his rifle mixed up with a shotgun!

All good Royal! Sit down pow-wow done, future shoot dates done, I've given indicative safe arcs (even though it's not my place to establish safety ranges for them!) I totally acknowledge the potential for injury (theoretically) is low, but "risk" as probability x effect = ANY chance of my daughter catching one in the eye is unacceptable. My concern, if such ignorance / arrogance regarding fairly rudimentary courtesy / safety issues is evident, it likely exists more broadly through the syndicate SOPs. Only time will tell now, maybe if they're still struggling to understand safety ranges I'll suggest the syndicate captain places his shooters in position then he can walk back to my garden and take a shot at each one in turn. If they're "uncomfortable" with the fall of shot, they'll know they're too close! Or perhaps I'll arrange a shoot adjacent to his garden and see if he wants his granddaughter to experience falling shot.

Diplomacy first...Then big violence!!

Nice one Kev:thumbup1:

All good Royal! Sit down pow-wow done, future shoot dates done, I've given indicative safe arcs (even though it's not my place to establish safety ranges for them!) I totally acknowledge the potential for injury (theoretically) is low, but "risk" as probability x effect = ANY chance of my daughter catching one in the eye is unacceptable. My concern, if such ignorance / arrogance regarding fairly rudimentary courtesy / safety issues is evident, it likely exists more broadly through the syndicate SOPs. Only time will tell now, maybe if they're still struggling to understand safety ranges I'll suggest the syndicate captain places his shooters in position then he can walk back to my garden and take a shot at each one in turn. If they're "uncomfortable" with the fall of shot, they'll know they're too close! Or perhaps I'll arrange a shoot adjacent to his garden and see if he wants his granddaughter to experience falling shot.

Hi Kev I will pm on what do next mate thanks Jon