Looking for large loads of hardwood

Diamonda

From your earlier post I certainly got the impression that you were offering some of your 3-4000t of Pr larch for sale as firewood - hence you rattled my chain!

What exactly were you meaning? I presume that you must be a licensed mill to take in that quantity of infected material?

You telling me I rattled your chain! Trouble is with the inquisition you're now giving me, you tempt me to keep at it!!

No, I am not offering the PR larch for firewood for goodness sake! I am a cutter, not a mill, but mills buy pr larch from cutters...

For crying out loud man, give us a break. The OP is looking for chip, NOT FIREWOOD!

:banghead:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You telling me I rattled your chain! Trouble is with the inquisition you're now giving me, you tempt me to keep at it!!

No, I am not offering the PR larch for firewood for goodness sake! I am a cutter, not a mill, but mills buy pr larch from cutters...

For crying out loud man, give us a break. The OP is looking for chip, NOT FIREWOOD!

Quite happy to continue.

Punter (not licensed handler)has described a log burner - viglan 40L - y/n?

You post pr larch, including price up to Gloucester y/n?

I post querying this in the context of statutory controls to minimize spread of Pr - y/n?

You post back on the attack to the effect "nose out, you know nothing, blah, blah" - y/n?

I come back with basis of risk and current advice from fc.

You now selling to licensed processor - certainly not clear from you previous post.

Useful public discussion raising the profile of Pr timber movements? Under the wire timber movements are a risk? Y/n?

Hi all, have just installed a biomass boiler so now looking for large loads of hardwood processed or not delivered to Tirley in gloucestershire (GL194HJ). can anyone help please?

great forum btw, have learnt lots!

regards

Andrew

"Large loads if hardwood (changed to soft a post or two later) processed or not"

Reads to me like he wants firewood, logs or cord?

Good heavens! I'm too old for this crap. My bad, thought the op needed chip as i know fa about burners. Of course I can't sell diseased timber to an unlicenced concern ffs, I'm not that stupid or reckless. I am harvesting pr larch yes. Euro and FF are buying it and to your chagrin, hauling it by road; that was your gripe x # of posts back. Take your distate of this to them and the powers that be if that floats yer boat. If the op wants prl chip he'll need to be a licenced facility and get it from the approved sources, correct. That could well have been cut by me or a multitude of other contractors. Comprende?

Good heavens! I'm too old for this crap. My bad, thought the op needed chip as i know fa about burners. Of course I can't sell diseased timber to an unlicenced concern ffs, I'm not that stupid or reckless.

Look back at your first few posts. It read like you were indeed being that reckless. Hence you got hassle from me for it.

Now if you say it was a misunderstanding that's all well and good no harm done.

Firewood has spread pathogens in the past DED, Pr etc. It certainly has the potential especially and as it often part of the grey economy controls are not adhered to.

Cheers

Ben

What do you call a large load?

apologies for being a bit vague. estimate needing about 20 tons a year so willing to take 20 tons or anything up to 2 / 3 times this at the right price!

RE Vigas, its a log boiler that takes up to 50cm logs.

Andrew

Hi Andrew I have been running the 60 kw system the same as your boiler for two months and thought i would pass on what i have picked up.

Rip up that bit of paper with the estimate on it and work out yourself what you need. I am bang on to reach my predicted RHI but will be burning between 20 and 30 tons more hardwood than predicted, although I am now burning softwood. Buy a Ton of hardwood and see how long it lasts and how much KW you get from it.

If you still have your original heating system don't panic, but if you don't get onto your local firewood guys asap and get at least 12 cubic meters of soft wood a month it could go up to 20 if the weather gets grim (depending on your house size and insulation). You will probably have to take what is in stock but not putting logs in at 50cm will affect how the boiler performs.

I tried 8 log suppliers when i started up and bought loose cubic, solid cubic, trailer load and ton bags which all came in different sizes. Cheapest is not always the way to go but I found neither was the dearest. Some really good guys out there supplying logs but you need to weed out the crap. Also if log supplies is not the guys main job you may have to work with them.

Buying dried logs makes the system very expensive. You need to get 26 ton of soft in then get a local guy with processor to come in and cut it to 50cm lengths and between 8 and 14 cm width. and start drying. I hope to get into the way of having wood sitting for a year then process then another years drying.

Also if your current RHI application has not already been passed you will need to wait until next year when the government sorts out the sub 500kw mess.

And finally a big thumbs up for Larch.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated! Our boiler supplier runs a 100kw/5000ltr system and has used about 40 tons a season heating a draughty old 5 bed farmhouse and a cottage the last few years, he reckons that most of his customers use about half the boiler size x tons a year hence the 20 ton estimate. I reckon to use more so plan to get in 40 a year until we have a better idea. Saying that, our house is less than half the size of his, super insulated and running UFH at low temps so one boiler firing is lasting 2 days until accumulator tank temps drop so far...defiantly not a labour saving system though, but enjoying it so far!

When we bought the house it only had 2 wood burners for heating so it's a novelty to have heat all over the house..

Totally agree about buying in early and drying, I plan to do the same and process ourselves to keep the cost down. Almost went for an oil boiler but just couldn't do it!

Do you run an accumulator tank and if so what temps do you max out at?

Edited by Diamonda

I run a Solarbayer 40kw with a 2200litre accumulator tank.

Heating just over 3500 ft sq of 2 story with mostly underfloor downstairs.

From my last 8 or so years experience I figger I could/would rather have twice the buffer/accumulator capacity, since it is so much easier to keep the bugger burning once lit, than relighting every day in the winter.

The underfloor will usefully draw the tank down to 35 deg, and with continious/sustained pumping down to 30 deg.

I cannot get the tank to more than 83/85 deg, generally settling for 80, which really only gives a useful30 deg of stored heat (unless dumped into the underfloor.

I could even condider re-plumbing my system such that the underfloor gets either

(i) the ret flow after heating the radiators/hot cylinder.

or

(ii) seperatly plumbed from the accumulator tank/tanks to use the lower temp water, leaving the hotter water for the rads/hot cyl.

I love complicated solutions to simple problems, well apparently.

marcus