Another one of Deano's brainwaves

Dean Lofthouse

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Attached splitter and gave it a try, no problem with speed whatsoever, infact I'd say it was faster than when on the loader.

Only problem is when I tested pressure by seeing if it would blow off the relief valve on the splitter which is set at around 3000psi. It got fairly close then stalled the engine. I think it's too much for the engine to power the two pumps together at full pressure.

What I may do is put in a 1000 psi relief valve to return on the smaller of the two pumps so it is taken offline as the pressure rises and goes to one pump operation. Sort of like a dual speed system.

I could also put in a spool valve so I can run it on either one pump or two depending on what I'm splitting.

The other problem is the low hydraulic light comes on when doing a full 1.2m stroke. Because the ram is so big it uses a lot of oil out of the relatively small hydraulic tank.

Other than that it's brilliant, once I've repiped it, the next job is mounting the splitter which with a lift ram three point type attachment. Should be fairly straight forward as you can see from the photos.

Just one thing, if anyone is thinking about doing this, unless you are very clued up on electrics and hydraulics or you have a mate that is and owes you big time, I wouldn't try and take it on

1384963225373.jpg.2d69ce5596daa1234b2b0573514f3815.jpg

1384963203237.jpg.776ae5c6d9ac5749cdfa51c85a85d8b0.jpg

1384963166503.jpg.adbca97179ffc742f2fe19ef29452abd.jpg

if you fit a lower pressure valve you will need to fit a non return valve in the feed line or it will dump thru the lower pressure side prv

I have just realised that thanks :thumbup1:

I am also thinking that if I use the smaller pump instead of the bigger pump as the high pressure pump it would have less effect on engine revs when working at full pressure ?

Success!

It works like a dream now, very fast ram speed and even when it touches the Log and dumps the second pump it still a good splitting speed, really pleased with it.

Hydraulics look a bit complex but it's really quite a simple circuit. One of the pumps is set at 500psi the second is set at 4000psi and it works a dream, the engine revs hardly change

1385146648597.jpg.6c0984f47ab32f1c98b06ca10b885f94.jpg

1385146632842.jpg.5eed351d1d751c037c39665a476e8314.jpg