Unicender Video

scotspine1

The unicender is one of those amazing pieces of kit that the Luddites will always deride. Anyone remember the prussik? That's right folks it's the 21st Century and things are a-changing in our industry. If you have the proactive mindset to keep up then you too can reap the rewards of advancement. I use the unicender for nearly all my work, it it adaptable and efficient, not just within the time restraints of commercial work, but ergonomically too. It's a wonder in aluminium. I highly recommend using one for a test. I will have one with me at Capel if anyone wants to have a look.

The world is not flat. Rockin!!!

• 1 month later...

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I missing something? It doesn't seem to do much more than a decent hitch?

No, these mechanical ascenders do less: they don't really fairlead properly so you have to feed the rope with your spare hand. I found with the lock jack you actually had to walk out backwards on branches feeding the rope in with your right hand so that the rope went through it: It offers even less flexibility than a prussic for £150. Money well spent I think.

The unicender is one of those amazing pieces of kit that the Luddites will always deride. Anyone remember the prussik? That's right folks it's the 21st Century and things are a-changing in our industry. If you have the proactive mindset to keep up then you too can reap the rewards of advancement. I use the unicender for nearly all my work, it it adaptable and efficient, not just within the time restraints of commercial work, but ergonomically too. It's a wonder in aluminium. I highly recommend using one for a test. I will have one with me at Capel if anyone wants to have a look.

The world is not flat. Rockin!!!

+1

This is a fantastic tool. Here is a link with pricing. If you click on the photos and the link he supplies to the YouTube video there is another video on that page called Drop Test One. Worth watching.

Thompson Tree Tools

Dave

Working Ddrt is so limited after you have work climbed, not just accessed, SRT. It is COMPLETELY different.

It is hard to get across how great the UNI is because so few people have worked with SRT. I would recommend trying a RADS system as it is fairly in-expensive to set-up and then thinking about the potential of the UNI. A device that ascends and descends on a single line in frog walker mode. The only device as far as I know.

My key likes are...

1. You can tailor the length of your rope by using a trunk belay or cinching at the TIP with an alpine butterfly. No spare metres of rope to pull and around and get in the way.

2. There is no extra friction in the climb as the line is static.

3. Safer work positions because of point 2.

4. Less wear on your rope.

5. Much less gear. You can be ready for a 30ft cherry or 150ft euc. and I mean REALLY ready with the ability to access and work either tree safely all day long.

up

down

up

down

up

down

Here is my current set-up. I started by replacing my ascension with the UNI but now it is my chest ascender with a tibloc at the top. The yellow webbing is a foot-loop and the only thing missing is the pantin (foot clamp).

Ermmmmm, well .... like Jason said, the world certainly aint flat!

5976543f8da48_TIBLOCFROGWALKER.jpg.d5f5834bd7b2468869c828b7729699ad.jpg

Edited by softbankhawks
baaaaad spelling

Working Ddrt is so limited after you have work climbed, not just accessed, SRT. It is COMPLETELY different.

My key likes are...

1. You can tailor the length of your rope by using a trunk belay or cinching at the TIP with an alpine butterfly. No spare metres of rope to pull and around and get in the way.

2. There is no extra friction in the climb as the line is static.

3. Safer work positions because of point 2.

4. Less wear on your rope.

5. Much less gear. !

Another plus is no need for a cambuim saver