how much overhang?

fergusonforestry

If its on the road up to 1m overhang nothing needed, 1m - 2m overhang clearly visible, 2m - 3.05m end marker, and side marker if over 3m. any more than that it will be getting a bit light on the drawbar.

Off the road, chain it on and let it drag on the ground:laugh1:

Well

butt end on first

about 8m, (10m?) it may jink a bit, but surly you can ballast the front end, ideally on top of the butt to keep it in posn.

OR a concrete ballast block (tractor loader type) on the draw bar in front of the headframe

OR

build up/crib up/fill up the back end bunk to cock it up in the air to the rear.

then ballast down/rachett strap/chain down at the front.

I am paying NO attention to the legal niceities btw.

What length is it ......................at max?

Edited by difflock

still as nature intended at the moment but should be coming down next week, unfortunately don't have access to things like ballast blocks, could always ratchet a 45gallon drum to the headboard and fill with water I guess? kinda hard to see here with all the growth around it but am hoping to take it at the first major branch which must be getting on for 20' all depends on how sound the timber is might just go away in 2m lumps if its no good but if it is i'd like to keep it as big as I can https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=cherrytree+balerno+edinburgh&hl=en&ll=55.893028,-3.333827&spn=0.000003,0.002642&sll=55.934491,-3.201485&sspn=0.054231,0.169086&hnear=Cherry+Tree+Crescent&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=55.893028,-3.333827&panoid=-2OswGJBv1H1Mc1lXZesjw&cbp=12,103,,0,-6.4

If it was me whatever the distance is from headboard to rear axle go the same amount again from rear axle overhanging. As others have said put butt end upto headboard. Then in attempt to make legal nail trailer board to end of trunk overhanging and connect upto your tractor. Run on sidelights so PC plod can see trailer board is actually working. I do it on a regular basis and have never been stopped yet thats not to say it is legal.