Dismantling Sitka Spruce - How?

Liam In The Borders

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wouldn't say I embraced the alternative side of life! My friends think I do because I'd rather spend 500 quid on a chainsaw than a season ticket for Newcastle United - it lasts longer and you get more enjoyment out of it.

As for experience? Perhaps I should be less self effacing and more direct if that's how the forum operates.

I've been in that wood for six years - no one has more experience of the place and what's required there than me and I've hundreds of hours on chainsaws going back twenty years. In some areas of the site I do run a petrol winch with 10 mil cable on a custom bed to get the mass out quickly if that's what the plan requires.

We're six years into a twelve year management plan which we spent six months working out with FCS. The strategy and steps to get there are very clear, but in the days when I had experienced forestry bods come out to 'advise' me then the advice was always to let them do whatever it was they were experienced in - irrespective of what we required. It invariably involved heavy plant which 'would do no damage at all to the site.' Sure.

The implication was that because we didn't want diesel beasts forcing racks of convenience into place then there was something wrong with our macho credentials. Perhaps if they stopped to listen and realised we were past the strategy formulation sage and that those decisions had been made, then they may have got some work.

I do hire in sole/small low impact contractors a few times a year to work in some areas, but this bit of the woods is my own personal favourite so no-one touches it but me. That's just the way it is.

There's a presumption against clear felling and monoculture in the plan which calls for the section I'm working in now to be carefully and very selectively thinned without damaging any other trees to encourage the sessile oak and scots pine which are currently skirting the edges of the site to move in.

I've free climbed half these trees anyway putting up nesting boxes, now I'm going to do it with a chainsaw because that's how the next phase of the plan will be accomplished. I'm going to do it anyway - I just need advice on the safest method.

I am a lone forester and I will do my thing.

Love this forum.

Easy tiger, without being as crude as I'd like to have been "alternative" was kinky. You know, spiky trees, wasps etc. my kind of joviality. The skidder/winch would be to sit on the edge and pull the trees down and out in one go without creating racks etc. I fully support some one having their own objectives for their one land. A man's home etc etc etc. if you've the time and no need to make money from the work and are doing for your leisure, great. I hope you enjoy it. I would if possible recommend having a robust loan working system if you're in the woods alone. Though pref a no2 with you. As for ropes, I think another poster hit the nail on the head. It's not a question you should need to ask...... Have you had any formal climbing/ saw from a rope training? This will give industry best practise. Then you can make up your mind for your self how you wish to proceed.

Best of luck.

So really a different question was being asked, the question was how do I get these trees down without damaging other trees, as others have said it will be perfectly possible to fell trees using methods without climbing them, however it will do damage.

If you are not doing it for profability then you can afford to spend a lot longer in there. Sounds like a flip line with your main line tied off.

R

So really a different question was being asked, the question was how do I get these trees down without damaging other trees, as others have said it will be perfectly possible to fell trees using methods without climbing them, however it will do damage.

If you are not doing it for profability then you can afford to spend a lot longer in there. Sounds like a flip line with your main line tied off.

R

Sorry for the delay - I did a quick change of email address, didn't get the activation link and had to go back to the old one.

Nope! I knew the answer to that question! Next question - what method do I use for the main line? Other posters don't mention it, when I look elsewhere no one can agree.

This http://www.hse.gov.uk/research/crr_pdf/2001/crr01402.pdf p.36 appears to say climb up, secure off at the top, climb down then go back up. If I have it right helpful peeps here say to just spike up cutting as you go (and I assume tie off as you ascend?).

It gets more complicated http://www.treemagineers.com/downloads/hitch_climbers_guide.pdf p.18 seems reasonable - but at what point do you adopt what's on p.20?

If the industry could agree on best practise I'd follow it. I can't even get a consensus on which hitch / friction system to use. Until then it's up to you guys. :001_smile:

OnFootForestry - your concern for my welfare is an example to us all:001_smile: My groundsman for this task is family and a just retired fire-fighter qualified in aerial rescue :thumbup1: He has a mental map of hitch systems that's spot on. And that is the honest to goodness truth.

Once I (you guys) figure out my best approach I can decide which of the formal training providers works best for me - they seem to have different emphasis.

It's all covered in cs38/39 either go out and do the recognised training for that, get someone to show you that knows or try and learn it from a book. Good luck

i would second that its probably not what you want to hear but my hubby has been in the woods over 13 years and i dont think you ever stop learning.... you would be a fool to say you knew it all as im sure theres always something around the corner to learn from

what i would say is in all his years he would only climb a forest tree to attach a skyline cable.

very difficult to give advise when not on site but i think taking an extra initial rack out or small number to allow directional fell and winching

joy.....preparing to be shotdown in flames

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

Just climb it with spikes and a bit rope going round the tree (don't know it's proper name) and brash it all the way up. If it's as tight in there as u say then ur probaly gonna have to come back down to get the brash on the ground. Back at the top, drop it all down. Can't see it being a case for ropes unless u think u might fall? Id advise using a top handled if u have one tho.... Another case scenario would be to use a helicopter and lift the trees out over the top? Just giving suggestions lol. I've always done line thinnings before self selecting.

You obviously know what you are talking about when it comes to your own wood, however climbing and dismantling trees is a completely different ballgame to felling at ground level. I would not recommend you go ahead without the appropriate training and experience, and would certainly not recommend you climb as a 'lone forester'. I understand your 'have a go' approach, but in this instance it would make sense to get a couple of experienced climbers in, both in terms if cost effectiveness and more importantly your own safety.