is the silky a lifesaver?????

Rich2484

ok. today i had a very interesting phone call.

silky have seen a picture i put up of me in my rnli kit with a zubat.

today the station phone rang and they wanted to ask me if i have used it yet.

so doing some trials on using some silky saws on different ropes. at the moment we use an axe on any fouled lines, this is ok but the lines are normally off the deck by a foot, and axes just bounce, not to mention in rough seas trying to swing an axe about while trying not to fall overboard.:blushing:

and the use of one on a rib. no axes on these.

a silky is imo opinion good as it can give control to cutting a line.

so question. what silky would be best, the zubat has large teeth and these can get blocked up easily, what would be better?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok. today i had a very interesting phone call.

silky have seen a picture i put up of me in my rnli kit with a zubat.

today the station phone rang and they wanted to ask me if i have used it yet.

so doing some trials on using some silky saws on different ropes. at the moment we use an axe on any fouled lines, this is ok but the lines are normally off the deck by a foot, and axes just bounce, not to mention in rough seas trying to swing an axe about while trying not to fall overboard.:blushing:

and the use of one on a rib. no axes on these.

a silky is imo opinion good as it can give control to cutting a line.

so question. what silky would be best, the zubat has large teeth and these can get blocked up easily, what would be better?

HI RICH silky do a large knife i was going to get one and dan off here sent me his knife thanks jon

HI RICH silky do a large knife i was going to get one and dan off here sent me his knife thanks jon

but how would a knife measure up. a serrated edge is always better than a straight edge. trying to work a straight knife edge on wet highly tensioned 2inch thick rope is slow, especially if the ship under tow is sinking fast.

tried the zubat today on some and it just went straight through on one pull.

but how would a knife measure up. a serrated edge is always better than a straight edge. trying to work a straight knife edge on wet highly tensioned 2inch thick rope is slow, especially if the ship under tow is sinking fast.

tried the zubat today on some and it just went straight through on one pull.

HI RICH IVE just pm you mate jon :thumbup:

"Pocketboy"...awsome little saw:thumbup:

now that was my thought, but. the pocket boy is small, would it be too small.

to put into contrast of a situiation it will be needed.

last time a tow line was needed to be cut it was in 20ft seas, the vessel under tow was taking on water, she was 35ft long. she started going down and by the time the crew had removed the axe and start to attempt a cut she was just showing in the water. this took no longer than 10mins.

and it took another 4mins to cut the the lines as the axe missed the rope and hit metal deck. so blunt axe on 2inch line.

a knife is kept in a tool locker but these are always blunt and useless. just the way it is, and they are straight edge.

so getting thrown 20ft up and down while trying to swing an axe at a line that is moving back and forth accross the deck.

would one of the fold out silkys be useful (acer2000??) as they are safe until you fold them out-

the scabard type means removing the scabard and putting it somewhere safe (in 20fts seas) and then welding a leathal saw until you can return to the safe place to put back in the scabard. Bare bladed Silkys and water proofs/wet hands/ 20 fts seas seem like a bad idea to me.

(apoglies if zubat is a fold out silky)

http://www.silkysaws.com/Silky_Saws/Folding-Straight_2/Super-Accel-210mm-Saw-1375#sthash.dWzka3Au.dpbs

(not my website of choice :)))