Falling on an ascender and rope failure

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Question - I use SRT for access with an anthron hand ascender and chest ascender, does this mean that my set up is likely to destroy a rope should I take a relatively small fall? From what's been said I feel I fall into the catergory of toothed life support, which I'm understanding is not great.

I always test the line from the ground so would'nt have thought that the climbing action alone would snap a branch, but I appreciate that that is not a bombproof method.

Question - I use SRT for access with an anthron hand ascender and chest ascender, does this mean that my set up is likely to destroy a rope should I take a relatively small fall? From what's been said I feel I fall into the catergory of toothed life support, which I'm understanding is not great.

I always test the line from the ground so would'nt have thought that the climbing action alone would snap a branch, but I appreciate that that is not a bombproof method.

if you're using a chest ascender and a hand ascender then in the case of a fall your chest ascender will take the higher percentage of energy , possibly ripping the rope but your handascender will catch you .

If failures occur at 4kn with toothed accenders why not use a snake anchor or petzl absorbica in you base anchor which are designed to absorb a dynamic fall of 4kn or use ropes like the beal dynastat which is a semi static rope which is designed to become dynamic when subjected to a fall

you would have to create soooo much force to break snake anchor/ asborber. with all the friction being on the fork/s and branch along the way. better way would be having the asborber connected to you.

Or back up your ascenders with a hitch above or a mechanical device like a dmm buddy or isc rocker

you could just run a dynamic cowstail to tether yourself to the hand ascender. If the cam goes on the croll, there should be stretch in the cowtail to lessen the load onto the hand ascender.. OR just get your act together and setup your access line and climb so you can't shockload the ascenders.

Ben, I was surprised at the 16 strand. I think that most people make assumptions about its capability based on kernmantle knowledge. And you are right, sort out anchor point choice and setting before a system is chosen.

MOG, I agree, rope deflection and subsequent friction may make anchor point absorbers irrelevant, but, there is a small chance of it helping. Remembering that a shock-absorbing drop may break your legs etc etc as you are dropped onto a branch......

I use a rope guide (with in-built shock absorber for those that don't know) and will change my doubled system to a trunk anchor frequently and with zero friction at the top point it may help??

For me this is all beside the point and I wish that more would use the rope wrench/hitch climber system which is an 'arborist's system' that can deal with tripled, doubled and single rope work with ease.

Will Morris - An industrial access climber will use a non-organic anchor that they have set face-to face AND they will use a secondary trailing back-up device on a separate rope.

It seems logical to want to reduce the risk of the way that we do it i.e. remote setting with toothed cams on 1 rope only. That is risk assessment and risk abatement.