Hi, whats this little thing called

Rupe

there is a cotoneaster that is about 9" diameter at the base and there are 3-4 stems from the same plant.

dont get the impression that woodturners want free wood all the time, it's nice on occasion if someone wants shot of it but we're quite happy to pay 20-30 quid for a 3'-4' length for something thats a foot in diameter as long as its interesting.

i cant speak for other turners but to me intersting timbers are just the ones that you dont see everyday.

for me they include, magnolia, laburnum, strawberry tree, pagoda, judas, cotoneaster, rowan, service tree, whitebeam, tree of heaven, juniper, mulberry, robinia, golden raintree, box elder, boxwood, field maple, elder, holm oak, laurel, paulownia, catalpa, ginko, hazel, hop hornbeam, fig, holly and any odd exotic tree that a council has put in the park and no longer wants.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is the queen willing to persuade arbs that their firewood is better going to a turner? After all, we do like a drink or two (or five)

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Anything good for turners i do a trade, they get the wood and i get something turned out of it. Although i did comission the turner to do a good sized oak burr we cut down today :thumbup:

Anything good for turners i do a trade, they get the wood and i get something turned out of it. Although i did comission the turner to do a good sized oak burr we cut down today :thumbup:

Yeah, one of the arbtalkers is localish to me, anything I get I'll save for him Tbf, as he offered to turn stuff out, it'll soon be Christmas and I'm crap at finding presents

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

dont like M.P. myself, it's too much hardwork for very little result.

any wood can be turned thin with out it going titsup as long as you know what you are doing. getting the walls of a dish or platter down to 3-4mm takes alot of practise but is very satisfying when you pull it off.

im sure lime burr is fine for turning as long as its solid. just about anything burr or straight grained is ok to turn as long as you know how to tackle each piece.