wood

i have a wood which i did a bit of work in last year just trying to get some tracks in to pull out mainly hazel. now trust have got funny as saying i have left brash about. do not understand i was trying to get going then clear the brash when coppicing it properly not just trying to get in to get wood out.

want to get it on a proper contract so i pay for the wood and i can then get on clearing it for hazel products plus firewood from the other trees what is a going rate to rent a wood per acre which is got out of hand some of hazel is 6inches so only good for firewood.

if i do it that way then they are being paid a rental not like now wanting a percentage of what i take and sell or use to work with to earn a crust.

have not got the time to work out how much i made on wood taken out

What do they want you to do with the brash if you're returning un managed coppice to a rotation? The margins are narrower than a gnats crack. They have to expect residues on the ground!

If you fancied traveling I could possibly put you onto some un managed chestnut. Good access, no brash worries. It's in the east midlands south of Worksop. Pm if it's of any use....

Couldn't help with prices on rents though!

thank you for offer bit far for me. but the national coppicing register will have someone local who would be happy to work it for you re margins on my wood. this they do not understand. the amount of large stuff i need to cut just to get 10% of usable material for hedgelaying and similar things 90% is only good for firewood or spending time splitting down to make for hurdles which i do not make as do not have the time. busy laying hedges.

i have got to the point that will say sod it and buy in from a local hurdle maker and put into the cost of laying hedges have spare time then doing other things. was going to have someone in wood working it for me but if they are going to mess around not going to sort that out. o i do love those who hug woods and no nothing on how to manage them:001_rolleyes::argh::stupido::bawling:

... o i do love those who hug woods and no nothing on how to manage them/QUOTE]

"Oh you can't cut those down. I've only just moved to the area but remember them from family holidays. Isn't the 'forest' wonderful... Perhaps you could just tidy the place up a bit without cutting anything. Everyone hates brambles but you can't get rid of the laurel. I love those shiny leaves..."

I am not sure who the owners are but if it's a charity or volunteer organisation, I would have thought that it was in their interests to supply volunteer labour under your guidance to do the initial clearance work to both your and their satisfaction. At this point you and they could make a proper assessment of the site's potential and go from there.

I haven't heard of the National Coppice Register before; any more info?

Yes, thanks broonie.

I know about the National Coppice Federation website. Their page has been saying "more details to follow" for months. It was the idea of a "National Coppicing Register" that had me confused; so I wondered if Hedgesparrow had some secret list to hand.