Softwood

Brian S

Sparks etc then this may help.

http://forestry.usu.edu/htm/forest-products/wood-heating/

heat output, there was a FC chart on Wilsons or Caledonian forestry showing that the six hottest burning timbers in the UK were all softwoods. Pine is used by Morso to temperature test their stoves.

A

That chart shows sycamore as being "difficult" to split !!! :confused1:

the yanks for some reason use the name sycamore for the platanus genus so sycamore is planetree.

no idea how plane splitts as i've never had any. anyone know???

That is very true. I did not realise it was an American publication. Should have read it more thoroughly before commenting.

I have a 5 ton log splitter and it will split most reasonably straight grain logs with no probs. One day I had a load of London plane and I tried half a dozen straight grain logs, none split and the splitter hardly left a mark on the logs, I have never seen anything like it. I did a quick search on google and there is a post from someone who said it was tough going with his 35 ton splitter ! I would be interested to hear from others how they have found this wood. I thought my log splitter was playing up but switched back to other woods and no problems, a strange wood indeed.