new mid saw needed...ms362 or ms 391?

Hedge hunter

Easy, the oil never is completely burned off, in fact, as the petrol burns, the mix will separate until flashpoint is reached, causing it to adhere to the cylinder walls, this is also true BETWEEN the rings, otherwise even on a husky, the top of the ring would skin the plating off. Then you can factor in fuels as well, a lower octane fuel has a lower flashpoint so it lubricates better

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

So, then, on a single ring system, it really isn't metal on metal...and the longevity between a single ring system and dual ring is relatively moot...

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, then, on a single ring system, it really isn't metal on metal...and the longevity between a single ring system and dual ring is relatively moot...

There isn't much in it, probably 1.5x the lifespan of a single, but remember, Andreas stihl built his models to last, the early contras came with a drain plug in the crank, and a replaceable big end bearing, amongst other stuff, such as attachments for brushcutters, soil augers, and stone cutting, the big dual ring system lasts much longer than modern types, over the years, his ideals have been swapped out for capitalism, and the reasons for the dual ring overlooked

You typed all that on your smart phone? I fear what would have come out had you been in front of a computer. ;)

Yup, but it's exactly the same as a computer, so nothing additional :)

Bit of background on me, I did engineering and petrochemistry at a-level, it's all simple stuff really ;)

Yup, but it's exactly the same as a computer, so nothing additional :)

Bit of background on me, I did engineering and petrochemistry at a-level, it's all simple stuff really ;)

I did a bit of engineering as well. So, I have a background in science. So, what scientific study have you done on dual ring chainsaws and single ring chainsaws to test your hypothesis? In the field, I haven't seen my Stihl rings and cylinders outlast my Husqvarna's at a rate of 50%... Have you? It's anecdotal, but 50% is such a large margin, even in a small sample with a single user doing the same work, I should probably see some difference, right?

Or is it not so simple?

I did a bit of engineering as well. So, I have a background in science. So, what scientific study have you done on dual ring chainsaws and single ring chainsaws to test your hypothesis? In the field, I haven't seen my Stihl rings and cylinders outlast my Husqvarna's at a rate of 50%... Have you? It's anecdotal, but 50% is such a large margin, even in a small sample with a single user doing the same work, I should probably see some difference, right?

Or is it not so simple?

You'd really have to log hours of use, all in the same kind of weather, same fuel, sharpening, etc, on the whole there will be no difference with all the factors, such as wind cooling engines better, the fuel quality varying from can to can, oil mix, who's sharpened the chain, etc, in the real world it would be only a minute difference (like 10%), but you're welcome to do that research, it would be a lot of data!

But from actual design, the stihl outlasts the husky as it has less speed and double the ring surface area, you couldn't even run the saws along side each other as the operator technique would vary too much to accurately test, even down to a one operator bias!

The new m-tronic/autotune would be best for this as they store the data on the carb chip, using aspen, on the same wood, with a constant thickness, in a well ventilated room, where the saws are controlled by an automated system, and only the 261 and 550 could be compared as they're the only saws that share the same engine size

I'm ditching all my husqvarnas and doing all that stuff you just said. If it doesn't work out for me, It's all your fault. The 261 handles like a pig, too. I'm gonna be onery bout it.

Edited by wyk

I'm ditching all my husqvarnas and doing all that stuff you just said. If it doesn't work out for me, It's all your fault. The 261 handles like a pig, too. I'm gonna be onery bout it.

Just fit dual ring pistons on your huskys

Easy, all of the force is dissipated over one ring, putting extra pressure on it, as it has less surface area, and huskys don't do the same revs, they do more! So more wear on less surface area means it doesn't last as long, I'm really not explaining this well! Despite a thin film of two stroke oil, it is metal on metal, and a larger surface area will last longer

I've tried to understand it but it's not working. The pressure is not on the rings it's on the piston crown and working on the same theory two rings should wear the bore out quicker. I'll just carry on as I am thanks and not worry about these things :thumbup1:

I've tried to understand it but it's not working. The pressure is not on the rings it's on the piston crown and working on the same theory two rings should wear the bore out quicker. I'll just carry on as I am thanks and not worry about these things :thumbup1:

Friction, tension and compression are all forces involved, amongst the usual, and OEM cylinders are chrome plated for this reasons, whilst the space between the rings holds oil, lean a stihl out and it'll destroy the cylinder as it has double the amount of friction, I use husky and stihl, I prefer husky, I'd rather have to replace rings than cylinders