large ash hung up

hedgesparrow

Joking aside, If your not experienced with a winch and have done this before then don't.

There's lots to go wrong, the tree can jump back off the stump, tree's can snap, cables can snap, the winch (and any redirects) needs proper mounting on a suitable tree and not to mention avoiding the winching triangle.

I'm all for having a go but in this circumstance I would watch and learn from someone else on the first one.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to see a photo before commenting.

Never dealt with 24" stuff.

Only perhaps 15"/18" windthrown conifers.

But the principle remains the same.

Only trouble is if they stay stubbonrly hung up, with the butt above head height.

Furthur felling of supporting trees or winching is the only option.

But as someone else commented, it is a challange therefore enjoyable.

Sometimes one has to start several treess back, and indeed forward, after accessing the "what ifs".

PS

I baint got NO tickets.

I would like to see a photo before commenting.

Never dealt with 24" stuff.

Only perhaps 15"/18" windthrown conifers.

But the principle remains the same.

Only trouble is if they stay stubbonrly hung up, with the butt above head height.

Furthur felling of supporting trees or winching is the only option.

But as someone else commented, it is a challange therefore enjoyable.

Sometimes one has to start several treess back, and indeed forward, after accessing the "what ifs".

PS

I baint got NO tickets.

lol yeah you chop the butt off and the crown fires up into the canopy with the stem end flicking your head off as it goes....:laugh1:

there is a pic on page 2.... dont look too bad:lol:

:001_tt2:

Lets face it, once the stump is severed and it goes nowhere, you're gonna have to pull it, although from those crap photos, I think it's already free, and gone are the days where I did the grab and pull method, once you hang one well it becomes a swing

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

id cut the wood off it first and see what happened.7 times out of 10 it will dislodge and hit the deck...

the other 3 bite your head off ....I didnt say it was a safe method.

I've found 9/10 times nothing happens, other than you gain a log, had one at the start of the year that got plumb vertical, still had to pull it down! Then it shoots out in the direction of the pull, I may be overweight and unfit, but I can bloody shift when that happens

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App