Just one of those things

Dan Curtis

• 2 weeks later...
Very interesting thread

Just thought that based on the level of rot in the stem, is the tree going to wait 25 years.

But I guess the low targets mean it's one to have as a arborists project rather than an insurance nightmare!

Good point. I had wondered that. I doubt it'll remain as it is for that long, but there are very few targets/hazards nearby so it'll be an interesting project to run with and see what happens

• 8 months later...

Nearly nine months from starting this thread, I walked by the tree today. Since the initial failure it appears that something may have taken up (or resumed) residence within the stem.

In the first picture taken at the time of failure, you can just see a cavity on the left of the newly exposed heartwood. Now, the cavity has been seemingly cleaned out, smoothed around the edges and there are a number of what appear to be claw marks below it.

My bet is on a Tawny Owl, there's often one in the vicinity. A little bit of investigation is on the cards, fingers crossed I'm not spending my evening sitting in a field for nothing:biggrin:

DSC_0014.jpg.b3da6fc7702e22a7a98e725659d48a3f.jpg

20130907_174809.jpg.d20a458a3f99f3c6c02106334bf9ab1f.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

It took a while but I've finally seen a tawny in attendance at the cavity. Seemed the perfect size for it so I'm assuming it may have raised young there, probably a bit late in the season to still have any now.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Arbtalk mobile app