Towing restrictions.

John Hancock

As most of you are aware, if your drivers passed their test after 1st.January ’97 they are limited to tow up to 750kgs.

I’ve got to get my lad qualified to tow the chipper in order to make the team independent of me. He took his test after 1st. January ’97 . Out truck is 5.5 tonnes and the chipper is about 2 tonnes.

As I understand he needs to obtain C1+E theory and practical. So the questions are…..Has anyone done it? How much did it cost? Was it easy to pass?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As Out truck is 5.5 tonnes and the chipper is about 2 tonnes.

As I understand he needs to obtain C1+E theory and practical. So the questions are…..Has anyone done it? How much did it cost? Was it easy to pass?

C1+E is the minimum required. However, to get there he needs to do C1, followed by C1+E, so one theory test, followed by two practical tests.

The two practical tests are the same tests as for category C and C+E, so if you can swing it, I would suggest you get him through those instead, as he will then have a full HGV licence, which would be potentially useful to both the council and employee.

I have done C+E, its not easy but with the right tuition anyone should be able to pass. To get through both tests will cost around £2000.

You need to get in touch with your local LGV training companies, they are usually very helpful and will arrange the licence application, medical, and theory test, before booking him in for 2-3 days training before each practical test.

Total bollocks isn't it! I cannot drive a car with a trailor over 750kg, yet my mother, who cannot reverse the car without a trailer on can drive a 7.5t lorry with a big trailer behind! What a wonderful law! I'm gonna have to wave 2K away at some point as well :-(

Edited by Sciadopitys

I have been driving the MEWP at work which is 7.5 tonne chasis, but runs on red diesel, no tacho and no MOT etc, but i am not sure if this is legal!? Surely i still need a C1 licence? My boss thinks not, he says its classed as plant, so away i drive each week. I'm not too fussed, i'm a really steady driver and respect the size and power of any vehicle i drive, but if i'm breaking the law i would rather not be driving it to be honest. Any thoughts!??!

If the plate says 7500kg, then your B licence doesnt cover you regardless of what other exemptions may apply. That is my opinion.

If you did get pulled, even if there is a loop hole that covers you, the officer who stops you may not even be aware of it. Even if you are in the right, they can make things very awkward for you. :001_smile:

I have been driving the MEWP at work which is 7.5 tonne chasis, but runs on red diesel, no tacho and no MOT etc, but i am not sure if this is legal!? Surely i still need a C1 licence? My boss thinks not, he says its classed as plant, so away i drive each week. I'm not too fussed, i'm a really steady driver and respect the size and power of any vehicle i drive, but if i'm breaking the law i would rather not be driving it to be honest. Any thoughts!??!

I would well be finding out M8 or you find yourself not insured!