Lifting cubic meter bags.

Alycidon

I want to be able to lift/move/load two full cubic meter bags at a time using a teleporter.

All I can presently see are 4 chain slings but these do not appear to have a center ring that would fit fork truck arms. I have seen lifting frames with integral hooks but to lift 2 bags at a time straps would still be needed.

I cant see why 8 short slings maybe a meter long with a loop on one end to go over the arms and a hook from a 5 ton ratchet strap on the other would not work.

Anybody done this or have any other ideas.

Thanks

A

Try a length of chain with a clevis hook on the end. Thread through the 4 loops on the bag and slot the chain into the clevis. To lift, slide a fork under the ring of chain you just created.

If not, then the bigger lift rings should slide over a forklift prong, speak to clarks and get a measurement.

Option 2 get a lifting ring with a threaded stud on the back, drill to desired position and fit with a spanner when needed. Down to you if you want fixed chains in the loop or a removable fabric strap.

http://www.wdsltd.co.uk/product/4164/hoist-ring-wds-695

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

If they're ok to load side by side, we use two scaffold tubes on the tines, thread through the loops and off you go. Speeds up the filling process no end. One journey, two bags!

That sounds a good idea, are the ok with hardwood, I assume so. Got to move them about half a mile up a lane.

Thanks

A

Geoff, I tried scaffold poles, besides the ends sticking out a bit too much, I found working on my own it was less faff to set the forks slightly wider and use a length of chain with a hook n loop to go through the loops of one bag and back on it's self, effectively forming a sling over one fork for each bag (needs two chains for two bags).

I only had to move 50 bags, if I had a lot to move regularly I'd be tempted to make a frame. Reddens scrap yard (wellingborough) has a bunch of old pallet pump trucks knocking about, you could cut the forks off and I'd bet they'd slip over your telehandler forks, weld a couple of lengths of decent box section across them as a support frame, with 8 short lengths of hook n chain hanging off in the rights spots it would be easy peasy.

Sounds do able, did think of the chains idea using standard 5 ton ratchet straps.

Have found a couple of poles as suggested earlier so will give that a whirl first, space is not to much of an issue.

Dont have huge volumes to move, 200-250 over the winter, my firewood store is in a barn away from the main farm buildings. I usually go out with 2 bags at a time so it saves time and fuel if I can bring 2 bags up at a time on the teleporter.

A