Classic outline.

Graham

17032009002.jpg.abbb01265c3a5333c1d59f03c26818e2.jpg

Sorry about the quality of camera phone pic. I'll get back and get a better one.

English elm (U. procera) which has disappeared from the English landscape. This is a tree I've known since 1976 and has survived whilst every other one around it succumbed to DED.

It's about 90' and has never shown any sign of DED.

[ATTACH]12583[/ATTACH]

Sorry about the quality of camera phone pic. I'll get back and get a better one.

English elm (U. procera) which has disappeared from the English landscape. This is a tree I've known since 1976 and has survived whilst every other one around it succumbed to DED.

It's about 90' and has never shown any sign of DED.

We have one like that in north cornwall- i know of another in a valley up there too- magnificent sight, and as long as no others grow too close, they should survive. Fingers crossed. Thanks for the pics.:001_smile:

What's the local topography like Graham. Any high hills surrounding the Tree?

Scolytus don't fly too high, so could be a reason for it missing your stunner.

Thanks for posting, I missed the English Elms whilst growing up.

Had me head in footy mags :blushing:

Wish I'd put my head up more often :sad:

We have an Elm here in Worcestershire (its recently hit the headlines because apparently no one knew it was!) The only Elm I’ve seen is it passing through the chipper..lol

the one on bredon hill side of eckington mate, roadside.??

What's the local topography like Graham. Any high hills surrounding the Tree?

Scolytus don't fly too high, so could be a reason for it missing your stunner.

Thanks for posting, I missed the English Elms whilst growing up.

Had me head in footy mags :blushing:

Wish I'd put my head up more often :sad:

Situated in gently rolling country which previously had plenty of elm. In fact there was a small wood...about 2 acres.. comprising mostly elm about 500 metres from this tree. They all died.

Maybe it has a natural resistance?

As i understand it, in my very limited wisdom, the "cornish elm" is believed to be resistant to d.e.d. I put it in inverted commas, as more than one variety has been touted as "cornish" elm;U. carpinifolia var. cornubiensis, Ulmus minor ssp. angustifolia,and Ulmus stricta. I am not knowledgeable enough to determine or state why three different elms are all considere cornish though. I have noticed in the last three or four years that there is a predictable amount of die-back amongst all hedgerow elms (which make up nearly all the elms) that have a trunk diameter of 6" upwards. However, i felled a beautiful straight grown, dead, specimen the other day to bring back and mill- with a base diameter of about 15", not from a hedge but in a small stand of young ish trees of various species, and next to it, growing about 10' away, was a similar specimen which showed healthy amount of bud all over it! About 100yds up the hill towards the customers house was a 20" dia. trunk about 10' loong, not felled by me but for me to mill, which had lived on its own and was dead. The living tree i just mentioned was between the other two and certainly close enough to the one i felled to have suggested that the beetle would have made its way across, and i would hesitantly suggest that the two close ones were both suckers from one tree. I will wait with baited breath for the survivng one to come into leaf and assess the mount of die back

Sorry about the essay....