Oesophogitis/Swollen gullet

Lancstree

Anyone else suffer from it? I've had the endoscope down so I know there is no ulcer in my stomach. They took samples to test for various things including helicobater pylori but waiting on the results. I've been on Omazeprole which seemed to help but had to come off it for the endoscope test. Went on to ranitidine as an alternative but that didn't seem as effective.

I'm hoping to test positive for a bacterial infection so it can be treated and cleared. If not I'll be looking at pills or major diet change. Possibly herbal treatment as an other option.

It's bloody awful!

Take care with this condition and make sure you get the right advice. If you have had a lot of acid reflux it can cause a change in the cells of the lining of the oesophagus and these can become cancerous. I don't want to alarm you and you're probably fine but it might be worth asking your doctor about it as if a change in the cells is diagnosed, it is important to stay on the omeprazole.

i have to take lansoprazole 30mg for life and more when needed/required all caused i,am told through bending over car engines straining etc especialy after a meal back to work etc rush rush pace of life etc .I wake up at times with acid vomit causing me to induce acid into my lungs causing choking etc > it really scares me at times as i feel like iam drowning in bed it also takes a while to stop the burning in my throat scary stuff

It might be a good idea to try and reduce the stress levels in your life too, but one of the things that used to cause me a lot of acid reflux is dilute orange juice.

I used to suffer from it quite a lot bending over to pick up logs and brash and it stopped overnight when I just started drinking water instead of juice. I've also found that some sugary cakes and biscuits cause it too.

As fisherman as pointed out, you need to find out what is causing it as it will turn into a major problem when your older. My mother had it and her osophogus lining as turned into the same as her stomach lining and the one way valve entering her stomach has been destroyed, so she has had to have her stomach pipe wrapped around to make a valve

Reduce stress and cut out parts of your diet till you find what stops it happening

I can echo Deans opinion. Reduce the stress in your life, number 1. Look at your diet, carefully, and remove acid causing foods. Stop smoking, and reduce alcohol intake. I'm not preaching, I've learned more about the workings of my intestinal tract in the last two years than I'd have ever imagined.

With the amount of dust particles from chippers, shredders, grinders and saws that we all breath in (mostly containing microscopic fungal spores) it is no wonder we cough, hack and splutter our way through our careers. A dust mask is also not any easy or practical item to don during the day. I have been on the amoprazole for years and if I come off it for a while it is as if someone has lit a fire in my chest, would suggest you stay on them.

• 7 months later...

I've been on herbal medication for a couple of weeks now and the going is good. I've got a prescription of meadowsweet to balance the stomach acid and slippery elm powder to strengthen the valve and stop acid leaking up. I haven't taken PPI's for over 3 weeks now. My digestion isn't normal per se but hopefully time will allow that to happen. I really didn't think there was any substitute for those tablets.

I've just been diagnosed with a hiatus hernia, I struggle to keep anything down after eating or drinking! Bending over isn't pleasant either. I'm still waiting to see my GP but I'm expecting to go on some tablets and told to change my diet, although even water comes back up So will have to see.