trailer for tractor

John Shutler

If it's for chip then go for volume rather than plated tonnage. I have a 12t grain trailer with 18" greedy boards on and i can just about get 20m3 in it filled level with a loading shovel or telehandler get about 18ish if blown in with chipper then raked flat but anymore and you'll lose more than you blow in :) Will be going for a big silage trailer next as i will get same volume if not more but with a much shorter train length due to it being taller and not as long. Anyway your valmet should boss a 12t trailer easy enough!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's for chip then go for volume rather than plated tonnage. I have a 12t grain trailer with 18" greedy boards on and i can just about get 20m3 in it filled level with a loading shovel or telehandler get about 18ish if blown in with chipper then raked flat but anymore and you'll lose more than you blow in :) Will be going for a big silage trailer next as i will get same volume if not more but with a much shorter train length due to it being taller and not as long. Anyway your valmet should boss a 12t trailer easy enough!

Hi tree so what will mf399 pull then mate 105)110hp 10)12 ton ok thanks Jon

redrock are a heavy trailer and don't tow the best in wet conditions but are well made but if you doing arb work I would get a rear steer axle as they save tyres and are good in tight spaces

120hp will tow a 12 tonne trailer load easily

Edited by NI Tree

I never worried too much about power verses weight as its fairly flat round here. The thing I paid more attention to was stopping it all. You often will end up with more weight on than you planned. With green cord wood you can get allot of weight in a small space. We had commercial air brakes with proper large brake linnings. I never felt safe with a small tractor ie 100 hp and hyd brakes if the hydraulic hose fails at the top of a hill how are u going to stop it. If you are going to pull 14 tonnes + behind you need 160hp and 4x4 then at least if the worst happens you have have a good chance of not killing half the village.

597665fb31242_newtrailer002(600x400).jpg.edd5752b7fb5e7dd70b0cfcd9b6b557d.jpg

I never worried too much about power verses weight as its fairly flat round here. The thing I paid more attention to was stopping it all. You often will end up with more weight on than you planned. With green cord wood you can get allot of weight in a small space. We had commercial air brakes with proper large brake linnings. I never felt safe with a small tractor ie 100 hp and hyd brakes if the hydraulic hose fails at the top of a hill how are u going to stop it. If you are going to pull 14 tonnes + behind you need 160hp and 4x4 then at least if the worst happens you have have a good chance of not killing half the village.

HI STEVE thanks for that mate have you still got trailer then thanks jon :thumbup:

The ford will stop my trailer fully loaded without trailer brakes hooked up no problems what so ever!! People have managed fine on single circuit hydraulic brake systems for the best part of 60 years!! If you need commercial axels and air brakes to stop 12-14ton then simply your going too fast!!

Jon your massey will pull 10-12 tonne easy but the it will be 18mph all the way and i'd have a google as to which gearbox you have as the later 18 gear speedshifts are a bit soft, like the old multipower box's. Best one was the old 12speed synchro but only came in 30k.

HI TREE your right mate the 18 speed boxes are no good theres a spring cost a£1 but to fix it cost £2k :lol:mines a 12 speed one im ok on the speed mate thanks jon