Sequoia Root zone.

Tree:Tment

Unless the house has poor foundations and built on shrinkable clay soil, I doubt that there would be any issue of subsidence and in any case subsidence issues require structural reports. There is more chance that the tree's roots will cause direct damage to the house due to its close proximity but the council is not likely to allow removal on the grounds that the tree may or may not, at some unknown time in the future, physically damage the house.

For Stubby; external walls can be lintelled across structural roots or if the worse came to the worse, the wall can be replaced with a close-board fence.

The Client sounds like someone who wants something i.e tree removed but expects the magic of the tree removal fairy to somehow come up with an answer. Unless something is shouting at you, e.g. decay, structural damage to either the tree or the house, it is highly unlikely that the council will agree to the tree being removed unless supported by evidence collected by the relevent experts and even then, the council may require an alternative solution to allow the tree to remain. Some battles cannot be won.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unless the house has poor foundations and built on shrinkable clay soil, I doubt that there would be any issue of subsidence and in any case subsidence issues require structural reports. There is more chance that the tree's roots will cause direct damage to the house due to its close proximity but the council is not likely to allow removal on the grounds that the tree may or may not, at some unknown time in the future, physically damage the house.

For Stubby; external walls can be lintelled across structural roots or if the worse came to the worse, the wall can be replaced with a close-board fence.

The Client sounds like someone who wants something i.e tree removed but expects the magic of the tree removal fairy to somehow come up with an answer. Unless something is shouting at you, e.g. decay, structural damage to either the tree or the house, it is highly unlikely that the council will agree to the tree being removed unless supported by evidence collected by the relevent experts and even then, the council may require an alternative solution to allow the tree to remain. Some battles cannot be won.

Those roots will eventually lift a lintel but yea I think you are right bud . Not saying I particularly want it gone , I don't live there , just trying to help . Like you say tell the client to move ....

Mmm the tree does has sever lean. More so than the pics show. Maybe this will come under dangerous on application.

It really is a 50/50 with permission and depends on tree officer we deal with.

thanks again

Forget about the rooting zone for the time being. Looking at the second picture, if you say the lean/growth habit is actually worse than in the pic then it could be time for the tree to be removed.

You could apply for consent to remove it, if they refuse then appeal the decision on the basis that it is unreasonable for the homeowner to live with a tree that is growing over the house and will only get larger over time. You could simply argue the perceived level of risk the homeowner has to live with is unreasonable.

Any other pics that show the extent of the lean/growth habit over the house?

I'm aware the tree has been there a lot longer than the house but there has to come a point where the retention of the tree is no longer viable.

I need advice regarding root system of Sequoia tree.

This tree is Approx 70ft tall and 6ft Diameter at base.

It is approx 18ft away from clients property and has caused severe damage to garden wall / pathway etc.

The tree is very nice looking but the client is worried about damage to foundations. The Tree does Have a TPO on it. It does not have any decay visiable from ground level but does have Lean towards clients property. The tree has layed down compression wood on side where there is a lean. No sign of shearing.

Please see pics of base and distance from Property. What you can't see in pics is damage caused to wall behind green bin.

Failing any defects with the tree I don't think you would get permission to remove, also looks to have a high amenity value, would also suggest that its removal in one would create subsidence problems, Direct or Indirect related problems could result, but may take a number of years to reveal. Very good example of very poor planning consent .

Try to forget about the lean unless its just developed .

Let's say the homeowner moved in 20 years ago knowing the tree had a slight natural growth habit/lean towards the house. That's fine. Now lets think about that tree continually growing/leaning over the house, let's face it, it's a juvenile Redwood as Redwoods go and has a lot of growing yet to do.

There will come a point where it'll have to be removed simply because it's unreasonable to expect any sane person to live under a heavily leaning tree regardless of the structural condition.

Should of also said take the time to read NHBC Chapter 4.2, those were the regs building control would have been working to when that house was built, make enquirers with your own LA , GO IN THE OFFICE AND ASK BUILDING CONTROL, foundation depth of that property, taking into account that tree, hopefully the building control officer will still be alive, or his side kick, and they will provide you with details of precautionary measures taken to prevent subsidence issues occurring, hope that helps a bit more.

Let's say the homeowner moved in 20 years ago knowing the tree had a slight natural growth habit/lean towards the house. That's fine. Now lets think about that tree continually growing/leaning over the house, let's face it, it's a juvenile Redwood as Redwoods go and has a lot of growing yet to do.

There will come a point where it'll have to be removed simply because it's unreasonable to expect any sane person to live under a heavily leaning tree regardless of the structural condition.

OK, you are correct, but think about all that I have said, then lets look at the tree, vigor, needle retention, dead wood, upper canopy condition, would remedial works resolve any short term concerns, and thats in tree life not passing ownership of property. Fantastic tree and yes I know all things come to an end, but in this instance will it be in your life time ?

Agree with that, trees, or this tree is not the be all and end all. I don't think I would feel comfortable with my family living in that house. Yes if the tree has had this lean all its life and does not appear to be getting worse then the tree will be very strong in this direction, however the ground around it is not bad but certainly not ideal i.e. is sloping away and building works around it (the house, garden wall and paving). Would you sleep easy there on a stormy night?