Cheaper to buy in split wood

baz

Does importing and kiln drying not defeat the point of firewood being a sustainable and ecologically friendly source of heating? If your thinking of pushing softwood more why not also look at fast growing hardwood hybrids such as willow,poplar and eucalyptus which have always been done down for firewood use as being too fast burning, I've been supplying poplar and willow mixed into my loads for years with no complaints :thumbup1:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone actualy had a load of imported kiln dried?!

Im interested how many loose cubic metres you get out of 28 x 2 cubic metres stacked?!

From abit of reading around it looks like 40% more than stacked so im guessing around 2.8 loose cube from 2 cube stacked?!

Me too! I deliver a loose pick up load which equates to 1.1 loose cubic metres. When I queried one supplier last year they stated there were roughly 1400 logs in a 2 cubic metre crate. I know I put on average 330 logs in the pickup (don't ask!!) so I was presuming I would get 4 loads out of a crate, but there again it depends on the size of their logs, diameter and length.

Me too! I deliver a loose pick up load which equates to 1.1 loose cubic metres. When I queried one supplier last year they stated there were roughly 1400 logs in a 2 cubic metre crate. I know I put on average 330 logs in the pickup (don't ask!!) so I was presuming I would get 4 loads out of a crate, but there again it depends on the size of their logs, diameter and length.

Ditto; always between 300 and 350 logs in the pickup depending on the cut length required. :thumbup:

• 4 weeks later...

As a retired soldier who got stuck in the Balkans a few years ago , I've just started exporting split logs (primarily beech) into the UK. However, if you are looking at importing, then do your research and try to get references; 'Google' the company owners; try to speak to someone within the company directly; better still, speak to someone who has used the company before. Anyone legit will understand your caution, and will be happy to help. In my case, the process of getting the right approvals, meeting phytosanitary, industry and import standards has been a long time coming but my first two containers were delivered last week and the customers have reordered :thumbup: Couldn't be happier! BTW if you 'google' me, you'll find a picture of me attacking a haggis with an axe.......don't worry, the haggis was dead before I got to it...

Cheers,

Duncan Spinner

alot of new firewood guys who started up a few years ago are now thinking the same as what weve always said - its bloody hard work and if you think your going to make a quick buck think again - its not easy

HI JOY its hard work as you no as you been in the trade for years and it not easy to make loads of cash i think the only ones now making large money out of it is EURO WESSEX UPM AND LIKE NOT THE CHAPS CUTTING IT THANKS JON :thumbup: