friction saver

John Shutler

Jomco, i'm not a fan of Jeepsters friction saver. i don't like using a carabiner to hold the pully because it will cross load the carabiner (never mind the gate) he shold be able to position the carabiner in good position. you'll notice in my picture below is use a solid aluminium ring to insert the pully through. All the life support items in my rope guide (and the ART ropeguide and cambium savers) are all rated for life support. there is no way my lifeline can 'roll out' of the pully.

after my short 6 years climbing i'm well aware that a little friction can be good. no friction / consistant friction can also be a very good thing. since using the standard ring ring cambium saver i found climbing a lot easier on my body never mind the tree, when ever i can i'd rather have no friction.

even my boss is moving towards a cambium saver as he has realised it's potential to save effort and he still climbs on nylon multiplait and 4 wrap prussics tied with 3 strand polyester.

ropeguide.jpg

Jamie

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You guys sure have a knack for making something easy, simple and very inexpensive into a complicated and pricey mess.

http://black-max.com/itemdetail.asp?item=21144&CAT=

jomoco

is that not a friction adder

as previosly said cambium saver and friction saver are 2 completely fifferent things and yes i would use jamies but not the one about 5 posts back jeepsters i think with the biner in

I'm simply stating an opinion guys, take it for what it's worth, or not.

May you live long and prosper!

jomoco

Please dont take offence mate, we are well aware you are giving an opinion, same as everyone else, thats the whole idea of the forum. Newer members such as yourself are welcomed because of the chance of fresh opinions and input, so please keep it coming!

What comes out of debate is often useful to many, and in this case its purely personal preference.

I, for instance have been running my line through a pulley attached with a biner, and through large ring of the cambium saver.

Does that sound like i could be using the biner incorrectly?

Open to anyones views:confused1:

Please dont take offence mate, we are well aware you are giving an opinion, same as everyone else, thats the whole idea of the forum. Newer members such as yourself are welcomed because of the chance of fresh opinions and input, so please keep it coming!

What comes out of debate is often useful to many, and in this case its purely personal preference.

I, for instance have been running my line through a pulley attached with a biner, and through large ring of the cambium saver.

Does that sound like i could be using the biner incorrectly?

Open to anyones views:confused1:

not necesarily could be fine dependant on type of crab and type of pulley

problem with crabs as top anchors imo is they can end up loaded wrongly and get caught against the stem and your not close enough to keep an eye on them

could you change crab to a mallion ???

and also sometimes pulley and ring do not always allow pulley to run easy and true and a bit of rope damage occurs

pic of set up or list of components would help but how exactly you use it and what diameters does affect how it runs

p.s i have had 2 instances when i have been on site and crabs used with pulleys have been found open or gates damaged whilst been in use and i personally now will not put myself in that position

my life is worth more than buying a proper tool for a proper job

if i use a pulley in a cambium saver it has been designed to be used that way

or i just use a cambium saver as standard

thanks for the comments. looks like the best thing to do is to take out the krab. and use a ring instead. the only reason i used the krab is that the pulley pulls through better. will look at getting a ART ring. although i think with the splice it mine not pull through as well.

at least it will give me an excuse to do some more splicing.

Edited by jeepster

Mr 18 stoner, yes that there is my splicing.

Jeepster, the ring can be a bit tight, if you get a small bit of cord and attach this to the pully and your retrieval shackle this makes retrieval a lot easier than using the tail of the friction saver. this wee bit of cord i have covered in some excess airline to keep it stiff and out of the way otherwise i found it sometimes wrapping itself around the pully, not good.

give jonesie a call about some 'large aluminium rings' think they are classed as cambium saver rings and only a fiver.

Jamie

Mr 18 stoner, yes that there is my splicing.

Jeepster, the ring can be a bit tight, if you get a small bit of cord and attach this to the pully and your retrieval shackle this makes retrieval a lot easier than using the tail of the friction saver. this wee bit of cord i have covered in some excess airline to keep it stiff and out of the way otherwise i found it sometimes wrapping itself around the pully, not good.

give jonesie a call about some 'large aluminium rings' think they are classed as cambium saver rings and only a fiver.

Jamie

Jamie. to get round the splicing into the ring. do you think i could just us a figure of 8 Descender. and just splice into the small ring. just a idea. plus you can pick one up for about £7.00.

clogltwtfig8.jpg.ec00c0be1d7f8f64305869a48f2455db.jpg