ITCC 2013 Toronto

Mark Bolam

Thanks Peter.

Well done the Kiwis, and a great second place in the Masters for our own Jon Turnbull and a cracking 1st in the aerial rescue for Jo Hedger.

No one seems that bothered these days though, which I think is sad.

These guys are at the top of our profession and deserve a lot more recognition IMO.

They're not just prima donna non-working climbers either, they do real graft in real trees for a living.

Thanks Peter.

Well done the Kiwis, and a great second place in the Masters for our own Jon Turnbull and a cracking 1st in the aerial rescue for Jo Hedger.

No one seems that bothered these days though, which I think is sad.

These guys are at the top of our profession and deserve a lot more recognition IMO.

They're not just prima donna non-working climbers either, they do real graft in real trees for a living.

I agree with part of what you say Mark, but at the same time are the competitors actually asking for recognition? It doesn't seem so. Do any of them post here on the forum?

I'd be interested to hear about the whats involved, the preparation and the event itself....how it feels etc. But its surely up to the people invovled to take the lead and throw some light on the whole thing....if thats what 'they' truly want.

I just dropped in on a climbing competition here in Victoria last month, the BC chapter or something. Just for an hour, me and the kid. First one ever. I found out about in because they had a photo in the paper. Apart from Bartlets and Davey, it seemed nobody else knew about it....certainly none of the contractors I'm involved with, nor any other tree people or sponsors from what I could see. Very low key, for some reason. Like a secret club. Why was that?

Not sure what I was looking at, so whether I'd come at a bad time or perhaps just beyond my appreciation, but it wasn't much to look at as a spectator nor particularly informative whatsoever. I'll go so far as to say it was boring as ...., and a waste of an hour. But it could have been so much better, as an event, with better marketing, and information and public facilities on the day.

Congrats to the UK participants and all that, but if you dont let us in and publicize the whole thing then Ive got way better things to care about, personally.

Im actually glad the Kwis won. They seem to really make a big deal of their competitions before, during and after.

I don't think it's up to the climbers, because no one likes a trumpet-blower, but the organisers could certainly do more to educate people and promote the events.

Well it wouldn't bother me mate. No different than any other person who starts a thread on the forum. In that sense we are all trumpet blowers, but without there wouldn't be much discussion going on here.

Look at Jonsie's show, and rec climb meets....they all seem to start here and do very well as a result. I'd be more offended if a person, or group of people perhaps thought that posting on AT was a little beneath them. Not saying thats the case here, but your thread begs the question as to why the whole scene seems so low key and exclusive.

• 1 month later...

For me competition climbing is about learning new stuff and meeting like minded people and traveling to different countrys.Of course the competition side of it is important! but fact is its a hobby, a lifestyle even...... I didn't start of in this industry involved in comps, but I heard about it and started looking in to it. Anyone can do that, Generally they choose not to though.

Nothing exclusive about it, just gotta be interested enough to get involved. Comp climbers are tree workers same as the rest.