Guide Bar

woody paul

Just got a second hand Husqvarna 353, going to put a new bar on it so my question is. Anyone run a Oregon Pro Lite Lo Pro15" which cuts a narrower kerf are they any good.

Yep . Recently bought a Jonny red 2152 which I think is a Husky 353 and it has the narrow kerf or pixal bar and chain . . No matter how well I sharpen it it does not cut as fast as my 346 which has full chisel .325 . but then that is spud ported so not a fair comparison . I do feel however that the semi chisel chains don't cut as fast as full chisel irrespective of power source and this thing about them cutting on if there is some damage is bollox . A dull or damaged chain is a wast of time whatever the type . Just me though !

Yep . Recently bought a Jonny red 2152 which I think is a Husky 353 and it has the narrow kerf or pixal bar and chain . . No matter how well I sharpen it it does not cut as fast as my 346 which has full chisel .325 . but then that is spud ported so not a fair comparison . I do feel however that the semi chisel chains don't cut as fast as full chisel irrespective of power source and this thing about them cutting on if there is some damage is bollox . A dull or damaged chain is a wast of time whatever the type . Just me though !

Nope, not just you.:biggrin:

The difference between full and semi chisel is that full chisel cuts faster but can loose its edge easier and requires greater precision filing whilst semi chisel cuts slower but won't loose its edge as easily and requires less precision with the file. There's nothing says they still cut when damaged.

The difference between full and semi chisel is that full chisel cuts faster but can loose its edge easier and requires greater precision filing whilst semi chisel cuts slower but won't loose its edge as easily and requires less precision with the file. There's nothing says they still cut when damaged.

Ok I still think that if you keep full chisel in wood and nothing else it wont loose its edge any sooner than semi . A dull chain is a dull chain however it occurs .

Sorry I wasn't clear on it loosing its edge easier - if you saw through some earth / grit then it'll have more affect on full rather than semi chisel. But I agree just sawing in wood it'll keep its edge just the same.

Well I respectfully disagree . If you saw through some earth / grit with any chain its is bolloxed no mater what type . Yopu godda sharpen up .

We could go round the houses all night on this . .. I don't mean plunging the thing in the ground so it's dead blunt. The acuter profile of a full chisel cutter is more susceptible to blunting if it contacts anything abrasive, once the point has gone its lost its sharp edge - which makes it the faster cutting chain.

We could go round the houses all night on this . .. I don't mean plunging the thing in the ground so it's dead blunt. The acuter profile of a full chisel cutter is more susceptible to blunting if it contacts anything abrasive, once the point has gone its lost its sharp edge - which makes it the faster cutting chain.

To avoid the risk of going round the houses all night you can be right then . :001_smile: Life is toooooo short .