Do these bad pictures look like Inonotus dryadeus to you?

Found at base of large oak in good health. I didn't have my camera with me so brought this small out crop home. The bracket whole was about a foot wide.

Been looking at inonotus dryadeus and thinking that the colour difference can be accounted for by the time of year?

Any input welcome. Sorry for poor pictures, I might have to return to take proper pictures for 100% ident but thought I'd run it past you lot in the mean time!

Many thanks,

Michael

1374701763219.jpg.2ef97e648aa356ca48c88b74e73e15e9.jpg

1374701637820.jpg.b16fe498a59d925bac8c6c958fd2a849.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As to the future of the tree I will be giving it an aerial inspection, dead wooding and searching for anything else that might be stressing the tree. Then putting together a management plan taking into account the nearby road and outbuildings below.

From what I've read about this fungus it's not particulary agressive and needs to team up with other factors to overcome the host.

it's a tiny small bracket on a large oak which looks in rude health (from the floor), be interesting to see what I find upstairs and downstairs also when I poke about the base/roots.

cheers for ident confirmation!

As to the future of the tree I will be giving it an aerial inspection, dead wooding and searching for anything else that might be stressing the tree. Then putting together a management plan taking into account the nearby road and outbuildings below.

From what I've read about this fungus it's not particulary agressive and needs to team up with other factors to overcome the host.

it's a tiny small bracket on a large oak which looks in rude health (from the floor), be interesting to see what I find upstairs and downstairs also when I poke about the base/roots.

cheers for ident confirmation!

100%:thumbup1: one I manage a lot in the Bucks and Herts areas, nothing too stressfull, usualy just a case of reducing the tree aiming for longer term retrenchment (making it shoot lower down and internally and over a protracted period, say anything up to 100 years making it a much more stable form) Theres a tree in Bradgate deer park and one in Ashridge park that has outlived the fungus entirely, I wouldnt class this as anything but the weakest of all the major heart rots

100%:thumbup1: one I manage a lot in the Bucks and Herts areas, nothing too stressfull, usualy just a case of reducing the tree aiming for longer term retrenchment (making it shoot lower down and internally and over a protracted period, say anything up to 100 years making it a much more stable form) Theres a tree in Bradgate deer park and one in Ashridge park that has outlived the fungus entirely, I wouldnt class this as anything but the weakest of all the major heart rots

same general rating of I.d. in the US as well, although I would hasten to add there have been cases of unanticipated uprooting. :blushing: But these are rare, and only on trees with unstable, sprawling, unmanaged crowns.

Entirely agree with your crown strategies described; what about soil works in response to I.d.?

O and very nice quote from the UCLA coach. :thumbup1:

same general rating of I.d. in the US as well, although I would hasten to add there have been cases of unanticipated uprooting. :blushing: But these are rare, and only on trees with unstable, sprawling, unmanaged crowns.

Entirely agree with your crown strategies described; what about soil works in response to I.d.?

O and very nice quote from the UCLA coach. :thumbup1:

I wouldnt say soil work was needed because of Ident, whats your thinking?

If airspade to evaluate, OTT in my opinion, when it is more than possible to evaluate the situation externally, at worst using a rod, as in VTA basics.

When the tensile triangle is elevated above soil level ( as in Matthecks thinking tools) we can safely assume the root form is in its later stages, and hence the elevation to above soil tensile triangles as opposed to below, due to the undermining effect of the fungi in this instance.

A very predictable pattern of decay Inonotus dryadeus (on Q robur/petrea and other heart wood forming trees)

I wouldnt say soil work was needed because of Ident, whats your thinking?

For any root decay fungus, I reckon removal/replacement of soil from around the affected area, aeration beyond that, and inoculation with beneficials, and managing mulch and moisture, couldn't hurt. :001_huh:

Just potential treatments; whether to specify these depends on the objective.

For any root decay fungus, I reckon removal/replacement of soil from around the affected area, aeration beyond that, and inoculation with beneficials, and managing mulch and moisture, couldn't hurt. :001_huh:

Just potential treatments; whether to specify these depends on the objective.

argh but you said because of the Ident, and NO I wouldn't, there would have to be small leaves, yellowing foliage, or interveinal chlorosis for example, die back before I concerned myself with soil conditions.

If a tree has a fungi, like I. dryadeus, does that justify major soil works?

Does I.dryadeus equal poor conditions and ill health?

Or is it just a recycling heart rotter, that is part and parcel of the Oak as an Eco system in its own right, which just happens to be capable of causing 1 or two in a thousand to fail in difficult circumstances?